Alan Abelson (October 12, 1925 – May 9, 2013) was a veteran financial journalist, and longtime writer of the influential Up and Down Wall Street column in Barron's Magazine.
|Born||October 12, 1925|
New York City
|Died||May 9, 2013 (aged 87)|
New York City
|Alma mater||City College of New York |
University of Iowa
He was editor of Barron's from 1981 until 1992. Abelson's columns at Barron's often took a skeptical look at the investment favorites and fads of the day, and sometimes spawned controversy and even lawsuits. While working for Barron's, he was responsible for editing the Investment News & Views section, writing corporate and industry features and the influential "Up and Down Wall Street" column. From July 1982 - October 1990, Abelson frequently appeared on NBC-TV's News at Sunrise as a business commentator. Prior to working for Barron's, Abelson worked as a copy boy for the New York Journal- American. He eventually worked his way up to becoming a reporter and then onto the financial desk. From 1952 to 1956, Abelson worked as the stock-market columnist for the paper.
Abelson died of a heart attack at a New York City Hospital on May 9, 2013. He was 87. Abelson was predeceased by his wife, the former Virginia Eloise Peterson, who died in 1999, and was survived by his two children, daughter Reed Abelson and son Justin Abelson, and five grandchildren.
Awards and legacyEdit
- "Editor of Barron's Tells Staff He's Been Asked to Quit Post", By GERALDINE FABRIKANT, The New York Times, December 22, 1992. Retrieved Jan 31, 2010.
- "Debasing Bernanke", Up and Down Wall Street column in Barron's Magazine, September 24, 2007, By ALAN ABELSON. Retrieved Jan 31, 2010.
- "Alan Abelson Bio | Premiere Motivational Speakers Bureau". Premiere Speakers. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "Alan Abelson, Who at Barron’s Was a Thorn in Wall Street’s Side, Dies at 87", The New York Times May 10, 2013, by Douglas Martin, Retrieved Feb 2, 2018.
- "Alan Abelson Obituary", May 13, 2013, Retrieved Feb 2, 2018.
- "Winners and Finalists in Loeb Competition Announced". The Write News. May 19, 1998. Retrieved February 3, 2019.
- Robert W. Murphy, "New fiduciary responsibilities under the Pension Reform Act of 1974", Proceedings - Seminar on the Analysis of Security Prices, vol. 20, iss. 1, pp. 73–112, Center for Research in Security Prices, May 1975.
- "News and Notes of AIChE", Chemical Engineering Progress, vol. 71, iss. 4, April 1975
- Alan Abelson, "Up & down Wall Street", Barron's pp. 1, 27–28, 9 December 1974.
|This article about a United States journalist born in the 1920s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|