Ahmad Syaikhu (born 23 January 1965) is an Indonesian politician who is currently President of the Prosperous Justice Party. He served as the vice mayor of Bekasi between 2013 and 2018 as the deputy of Rahmat Effendi.
|President of Prosperous Justice Party|
|Assumed office |
5 October 2020
|Preceded by||Sohibul Iman|
|Vice Mayor of Bekasi|
10 March 2013 – 10 March 2018
|Preceded by||Rahmat Effendi|
|Succeeded by||Tri Ardhianto|
|Member of West Java DPRD|
31 August 2009 – 10 March 2013
|Member of Bekasi City Council|
|Born||23 January 1965|
Cirebon Regency, Indonesia
|Political party||Prosperous Justice Party|
Born in Cirebon Regency, he studied accounting and worked as a government auditor before being elected into Bekasi's city council and later the West Java Provincial Council. He ran as Mayor of Bekasi and Vice Governor of West Java in 2008 and 2018, respectively, but both bids failed.
Syaikhu was born in Ciledugkulon village, Ciledug, Cirebon Regency on 23 January 1965. His father was a civil servant. Syaikhu completed his basic education there, moving to a separate school once during elementary due to his father's reassignment, before proceeding to study accounting.
In the 2004 legislative election, Syaikhu won a seat in Bekasi's city council for the 2004–2009 term. Midway, he ran in the 2008 Bekasi mayoral election, but lost to Mochtar Mohammad and his running mate Rahmat Effendi. He then won a seat in the West Java Provincial Council following the 2009 legislative election.
He once more participated in the 2013 mayoral election as the running mate to Rahmat, with the pair winning with 43 percent of votes in the five-candidate race. They were sworn in on 13 March 2013. In 2015, he was elected as the chairman for the Prosperous Justice Party's West Java branch.
Syaikhu ran as the running mate to Sudrajat in the 2018 gubernatorial election for West Java. Although they initially placed low in opinion polls (around 4 percent), the pair exceeded expectations and placed second behind Ridwan Kamil/Uu Ruzhanul Ulum, winning 28.74 percent.
Following the end of his tenure in Bekasi, he registered to run under PKS as a candidate for the People's Representative Council. Later, he was brought forward as a candidate to replace Sandiaga Uno as the Vice Governor of Jakarta. He was later elected president of the Prosperous Justice Party for the 2020–2025 tenure.
He is married to Lilik Wakhidah and the couple has six children.
Syaikhu founded several organizations focusing on Islamic education. In addition, he is an avid shooter, having served as chairman of Bekasi's shooting and hunting association.
- "5 Fakta Ahmad Syaikhu: Pernah Jadi Auditor hingga Hobi Menembak". Kumparan (in Indonesian). 11 March 2018. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Ardiansyah, Fitrah (10 January 2018). "Ahmad Syaikhu Dermawan yang Jago Menembak". Pikiran Rakyat (in Indonesian). Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- "Profil Ahmad Syaikhu". VIVA (in Indonesian). Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- "Hasil Pilkada Kota Bekasi, Rahmat Effendi Menang 1 Putaran". liputan6.com (in Indonesian). 16 December 2012. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- "Gubernur Melantik Rahmat Effendi-Ahmad Syaikhu Jadi Pemimpin Kota Bekasi". Pikiran Rakyat (in Indonesian). 10 March 2013. Archived from the original on 22 January 2018. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Siswadi, Anwar (9 July 2018). "Kalah dari Ridwan Kamil di Pilgub Jabar, Sudrajat Anggap Prestasi". Tempo (in Indonesian). Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Richard, Theofilus (24 July 2018). "Ahmad Syaikhu Mantap Jadi Bacaleg DPR-RI". Tribun Jabar (in Indonesian). Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "PKS nominates Ahmad Syaikhu, Agung Yulianto for Jakarta deputy governor". The Jakarta Post. 19 September 2018. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- "Ahmad Syaikhu Terpilih Jadi Presiden PKS Menggantikan Sohibul Iman". Merdeka (in Indonesian). 5 October 2020. Retrieved 6 October 2020.