Abubakar Abbas (born 17 May 1996) is a Nigerian-born track and field sprinter who competes internationally for Bahrain. He was the silver medallist in the 400 metres at the 2014 Asian Games. He has a personal best of 45.17 seconds for the event.
|Born||May 17, 1996|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||66 kg (146 lb)|
|Sport||Track and field|
Born in Kano State, Nigeria, he first established himself at the national level with a runner-up finish over 400 metres at the 2012 Nigerian National Sports Festival, finishing behind Orukpe Erayokan. Less than a month later the 16-year-old Nigerian opted to compete for Bahrain, changing his eligibility to the Middle-East state.
Abbas made his debut for his adopted nation the following year at the 2013 World Youth Championships in Athletics. Running in the 400 m, he managed a personal best in the qualifiers with a time of 46.85 seconds. In the final he originally finished in third place, but was disqualified for a lane infraction. He completed a 200 m/400 m double at the West Asian Youth Athletics Championships three months later.
At the start of following track season he was a double medallist at the Arab Junior Athletics Championships, winning the 200 m and placing second in a Bahraini 1–2 of the 400 m, behind Ali Khamis Abbas. He ran two personal bests in those events at the Plovdiv Memorial Vulpev-Bakchevanov that July, timing 21.25 seconds and 45.93 seconds, respectively. At the 2014 World Junior Championships in Athletics he was a 400 m finalist and despite a slow start managed to take the bronze medal – his first global podium finish. He rose among the senior elite runners at the 2014 Asian Games: two Bahraini junior records came in the qualifiers, first a run of 45.61, then one of 45.17 seconds. He was beaten Youssef Masrahi in the final by over a second, but was still a clear second to take the silver medal at the age of 18. His best time that year ranked him the second fastest junior 400 m runner for the season, just behind world junior champion Machel Cedenio.
- Eduzor, Ifeanyi (2012-12-07). National Sports Festival Eko 2012: Ereyokan revels in 400m win Archived 2013-04-25 at the Wayback Machine.. National Mirror. Retrieved on 2014-09-29.
- Abbas Abubaker. Tilastopaja. Retrieved on 2014-09-29.
- Abubakar Abbas. IAAF. Retrieved on 2014-09-29.
- 2013 World Youth Championships Boy's 400 metres final. IAAF. Retrieved on 2014-09-29.
- Morse, Parker (2014-07-25). Report: men's 400m – IAAF World Junior Championships, Oregon 2014. IAAF. Retrieved on 2014-09-29.
- Minshull, Phil (2014-09-27). Mohammed gets the 2014 Asian Games athletics off to a historic start - UPDATED. IAAF. Retrieved on 2014-09-29.
- Minshull, Phil (2014-09-28). Ogunode sets area 100m record of 9.93 at the Asian Games. IAAF. Retrieved on 2014-09-29.
- 400 Metres - men - junior - outdoor - 2014. IAAF. Retrieved on 2014-09-29.