This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Abraham Rubin Hercules Benrubi (born October 4, 1969) is an American character actor known for his appearances as Jerry Markovic on the long-running U.S. TV drama ER, for his first role as Larry Kubiac on the series Parker Lewis Can't Lose, Dennis in Without a Paddle, and for his voice acting on the Adult Swim claymation series Robot Chicken.
Abraham Rubin Hercules Benrubi
October 4, 1969
|Other names||Abraham Ben Rubi, Abe Benrubi|
Early life and educationEdit
Benrubi was born in Indianapolis, Indiana, the eldest son of Patricia and Asher Benrubi, who was a rock singer and is currently a radio personality known as "Smash" to St. Louis radio audiences. His paternal grandfather was from a Greek Jewish family. His paternal grandmother, who was born to a Greek Orthodox Christian family, helped shelter Jews in Greece during World War II and later converted to Judaism.
Benrubi's first major role was on the show Wings, as Roy "R.J." Biggins, Jr., Roy's gay son. He would appear as R.J. twice: once during the show's second season, and again during the seventh season, shortly after he began working on NBC's ER.
Benrubi starred as one of the main characters in ABC's show Men in Trees, playing bartender/millionaire Ben Tomasson. This was a role where he got noticeably more main dialog and depth than with his previous longtime characters on ER and Parker Lewis Can't Lose, which primarily consisted of supporting dialog. Ben Tomasson was described as "the cuddliest TV character since Jorge Garcia's Hurley on Lost" by TV-critic David Bianculli. Other previous work includes playing Mose in the 2003 western Open Range, a role the actor won because he had been cut out of director Kevin Costner's previous film, The Postman. He frequently voices characters on Adult Swim's stop-motion animation show Robot Chicken, and has also contributed to a second show from Chicken's creators, Titan Maximum.
Benrubi starred in the short lived (April 2010 to June 2010) ABC show, Happy Town where he played the part of Big Dave Duncan. Almost right after the series's cancellation was announced he appeared in a new show Memphis Beat, where he plays the part of police Sgt. Jody "JC" Lightfoot, a desk sergeant that is 1/16 Chickasaw by a distant relative, but chooses to embrace Native American culture all the same.
In May 2011 it was announced that he would star in Glutton, a "3D psychological thriller" directed by David Arquette. Benrubi will play Jethro, a 1,200-pound man, forced to save his sister's life. Jethro's sister is played by Patricia Arquette, while Kacey Barnfield also stars as his blind neighbour and only friend.
Benrubi is a member of Los Angeles' Sacred Fools Theater Company.
- Diving In as Rick
- Crossing the Bridge as Rinny
- The Shadow as Marine Guard
- The Program as "Bud-Lite" Kaminski
- Wagons East! as Abe Ferguson
- George of the Jungle as Thor
- Talking Dessert
- Tempting Fate (made-for-TV) as John Bolladine
- Border To Border as Geddy Paretti
- I Woke Up Early the Day I Died
- Under Oath as Geoff Carmichael
- Out in Fifty
- Twister as Bubba
- The Man Who Wasn't There as Young Man at Dance
- War Story as Erik
- Open Range as Mose Harrison
- The Rugrats Movie (voice only) as Serge
- Without a Paddle as Dennis
- Charlotte's Web (voice only) as Uncle
- Wristcutters: A Love Story as Erik
- Venus and Vegas as Bruno
- Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous as Lou Steele
- Calvin Marshall as Coach Dewey
- Magic Island as Duckbone
- Bounty Killer as Jimbo
- A Night In Old Mexico (2013) as Big Rosco Hamill
- The Finest Hours (2016 film) as George 'Tiny' Myers
- The Belko Experiment as Chet Valincourt
- Like. Share. Follow. as Detective Yarden
- Little Boy as Teacup
- Wings as Roy "R. J." Biggins, Jr.
- Parker Lewis Can't Lose as Francis Lawrence "Larry" Kubiac III
- Angel Street (pilot episode)
- Blossom as Francis
- Growing Pains as Really Big Kid
- Grace Under Fire as Mark
- Roseanne as Young Dan Conner
- ER as Jerry Markovic
- Sleepwalkers as Vince Konefke
- X-Files as Mike Raskub ("Arcadia")
- Dark Angel as Break
- A Touch of Hope as Dr. Neil Bachman
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer as Olaf the Troll ("Triangle" and "Selfless")
- Cold Feet (Unaired NBC pilot)
- Unscripted (pilot episode) as Himself
- Going to California as Harvey (Benrubi was also cast in the unaired pilot shopped around to the WB, but was not cast when the show was green-lighted by Showtime)
- Married... with Children as Bundy Baby from Hell ("She's Having a Baby, Pt 1")/Cousin Jimmy ("The Wedding Repercussions")
- Criminal Minds as Frank Fielding
- Men In Trees as Ben Thomasson
- Robot Chicken (voice only) as Darth Vader, Optimus Prime, The Great Pumpkin, Ving Rhames, Fidel Castro, Dominic Toretto, Cyborg, Bowser, various characters
- Pizza Time as Bruno
- 1% as Citizen Dave (Unaired Pilot for an HBO series)
- Happy Town as Big Dave Duncan (2010)
- Memphis Beat as Sgt. JC Lightfoot (2010)
- Bones as Willis (2012)
- Country Christmas as Santa Claus (2013)
- Once Upon a Time as Arlo the Giant (2013)
- The Bridge as DEA Agent Joe McKenzie (2014)
- Bosch (Drama Series for Amazon) as Rodney Belk (2014)
- Outcast as Caleb (2016)
- APB as Pete McCann (The Blockhead) (2017)
- Abraham Benrubi Biography (1969–). Filmreference.com (1969-10-04). Retrieved on 2012-05-05.
- Rachel Benrubi, 86; family hid Jews in Greece during WWII – St. Louis Jewish Light: Obituaries – Rachel Benrubi, 86; family hid Jews in Greece during WWII: Obituaries. Stljewishlight.com. Retrieved on 2012-05-05.
- Kelly, Robert. (2009-04-20) Those who aided Jews honored Many put their lives at stake to conceal Jews from Nazis during Holocaust. COMMMERATION. Stltoday.com. Retrieved on 2012-05-05.
- 'TREES': HECHE BRANCHES OUT. Alas, she's left out on a limb Archived September 30, 2007, at the Wayback Machine, NY Daily News, Tuesday, September 12th 2006
- TNT – We Know Drama. Tnt.tv. Retrieved on 2012-05-05.