ʿAbd Allāh ibn ʿAlī ibn Abī Ṭālib (Arabic: عَبْد ٱللَّٰه ٱبْن عَلِيّ ٱبْن أَبِي طَالِب) was one of Ali's sons who was killed in Karbala in 680, and is considered among the martyrs of the Battle of Karbala. Abdullah is also among the four sons of Umm al-Banin, the daughter of Hazam.
Abdullah ibn Ali ibn Abi Talib
عَبْد ٱللَّٰه ٱبْن عَلِيّ ٱبْن أَبِي طَالِب
|Died||10 October 680|
|Relatives||Al-Hasan (half-brother) |
Abbas ibn Ali (full-brother)
Ja'far ibn Ali (full-brother)
Uthman ibn Ali (full-brother)
Hasan ibn Hasan (nephew)
Qasim ibn Hasan (nephew)
Talha ibn Hasan (nephew)
Abdullah ibn Hasan (nephew)
Abu Bakr ibn Hasan (nephew)
Fatimah bint Hasan (niece)
Ali ibn Husayn (nephew)
Ali Zayn al-Abidin (nephew)
|Family||Family of Ali|
Battle of KarbalaEdit
Historians have written about Abdullah ibn Ali ibn Abi Talib that on the day of Ashura, when the companions of Husayn ibn Ali and many of his family were killed, Abbas ibn Ali called out his brothers in age order and told them to attack on the battlefield. Abdullah ibn Ali was the first one who was called in order to fight Umar ibn Sa'd's army. Abbas said to him:
"O my brother, you first go to the battle field, because you don't have children (to be sad of the kid(s)). I want to see you to be killed in the way of Allah, and to be patient in your martyrdom."
So Abdullah went to the battlefield and recited epic verse(s). Then he embarked onto the battlefield striking out with his sword. Eventually Hani ibn Thabit attacked him and struck Abdullah on his head killing him. He was twenty five years old. Hani ibn Thabit's name was mentioned in the Ziyarat al-Nahiya al-Muqaddasa and by Ja'far ibn Ali ibn Abi as the killer of Abdullah Talib.
- ^ a b c d "The fighting and martyrdom of Abdullah ibn Ali". daneshnameh.roshd.ir. 13 Oct 2018.
- ^ Absar al-Ain Fi Ansar-al-Hussain, Jam'i Az Newisandegan V. 1, P. 66
- ^ Abdullah ibn Ali abn Abi Talib lib.eshia.ir Retrieved 13 Oct 2018
- ^ Imam Hussain's brothers makarem.ir Retrieved 13 Oct 2018
- ^ Moravveij al-Zahab, Masoodi, Ali ibn Hussain, Vol. 3, P. 63
- ^ Imam Hussain's brother in Karbala rasekhoon.net Retrieved 13 Oct 2018
- ^ Hazrat Ummol Banin shia-news.com Retrieved 14 Oct 2018
- ^ Ansaab al-Ashraaf, V. 3, P. 390
- ^ The biography of Umm-al-Banin (s.a.) ummulbanin.com Retrieved 14 Oct 2018
- ^ a b c "Abdullah ibn Ali ibn Abi Talib". tebyan.net. 14 Oct 2018.
- ^ Absarul Ain, P. 34
- ^ Al-Mahluf Ala Qatli al-Tofuf, Seyyed ibn Tavus, V. 1, P. 149
- ^ Ashura, Imam Hussaiin yjc.ir Retrieved 14 Oct 2018
- ^ A'yanul-Shia, Al-Seyyed Mohsen-al-Amin, Beirut, Dar al-Ta'rof Lel-Matbu'at, V. 4, P. 129
- ^ Al-Kamel Fi Tarikh, E'zolDin AbulHasan Ali ibn Muhammad ibn Al-Athir-al-Jazri, Beirut, Dar-al-Ketab al-Arabia, V. 4, P. 30
- ^ The bad fate of Imam Hussain's killers yjc.ir Retrieved 13 Oct 2018
- ^ The battle of Karbala nasimonline.ir Retrieved 13 Oct 2018