This article does not cite any sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Year 172 (CLXXII) was a leap year starting on Tuesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Scipio and Maximus (or, less frequently, year 925 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 172 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
|Ab urbe condita||925|
|Balinese saka calendar||93–94|
|Chinese calendar||辛亥年 (Metal Pig)|
2868 or 2808
— to —
壬子年 (Water Rat)
2869 or 2809
|Coptic calendar||−112 – −111|
|- Vikram Samvat||228–229|
|- Shaka Samvat||93–94|
|- Kali Yuga||3272–3273|
|Iranian calendar||450 BP – 449 BP|
|Islamic calendar||464 BH – 463 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1740 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||483/484 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||714–715|
298 or −83 or −855
— to —
299 or −82 or −854
- Emperor Marcus Aurelius crosses the Danube with an expeditionary force. He subdues the Marcomanni and their allies and then, in a pact signed with the Germanic tribes, he imports them into the Roman Empire to occupy areas that have been depopulated by the plague.
- The Sarmatians attack the lower Danube frontier.
- Miracle in Moravia: As the Roman army is encircled by the Quadi under intense heat, a violent thunderstorm sweeps away the Quadi in a torrent of water and mud, and refreshes the parched legionaries.
- Avidius Cassius, governor of Syria, suppresses an agrarian revolt in Egypt and is made supreme commander of the Roman army in the East.
- Last (5th) year of Jianning era and start of Xiping era of the Chinese Han Dynasty.
- Battle of Jwa-won: Goguryeo Prime Minister Myeongnim Dap-bu defeats the Chinese Han Dynasty forces in Manchuria.
- Tatian produces his Diatessaron, a harmony of the four gospels.
- Montanism spreads through the Roman Empire.