9Life is an Australian free-to-air digital television multichannel owned by Nine Entertainment Co. The channel airs mostly foreign lifestyle and reality programs, with the channel having a licensing agreement with Discovery Inc. (previously Scripps Networks Interactive) for the distribution of many formats.
|Launched||26 November 2015|
|Owned by||Nine Entertainment Co.|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV) 16:9|
|Audience share||1.9% nationally (2016 ratings year, )|
|Broadcast area||Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Darwin, Northern NSW and Gold Coast, Regional QLD, Southern NSW/ACT, Regional VIC|
|TCN Sydney (DVB-T)||1059 @ 8 (191.5 MHz)|
|GTV Melbourne (DVB-T)||1074 @ 8 (191.5 MHz),|
|QTQ Brisbane/Sunshine Coast (DVB-T)||1030 @ 8 (191.5 MHz)|
|NWS Adelaide (DVB-T)||1106 @ 8 (191.5 MHz)|
|STW Perth/Mandurah (DVB-T)||1026 @ 8 (191.5 MHz)|
|Freeview Nine metro (virtual)||94|
|Freeview Nine affiliate (virtual)||54/84|
|Fetch TV (virtual)||094|
The channel was first announced on 28 October 2015, and began broadcasting on 26 November 2015 in metropolitan areas on channel 94. 9Life replaced the main broadcast of datacasting channel Extra, which was moved to channel 95 to replace its timeshift channel Extra 2.
9Life began being included in the official OzTAM ratings on 1 December 2015, where it recorded a 2.3% primetime share, nearly double that of sister channel 9Gem, which has been the biggest channel launch since 9Go! in 2009.
Regional affiliate WIN Television announced on 10 February 2016 it would launch 9Life in the coming months. It was later confirmed the channel would launch on 1 March 2016 on channel 84. Four WIN regions were excluded from the 1 March launch date. Griffith, Tasmania, and Eastern South Australia did not receive the channel until 2 March 2016 due to technical issues. In addition, the Regional WA station did not launch the channel until 10 March 2016.
On 29 April 2016, Nine announced that it had signed a new affiliation deal with Southern Cross Austereo, dumping WIN Television as its primary affiliate starting 1 July 2016. Upon the switchover, 9Life became temporarily unavailable as WIN ceased broadcasting and Southern Cross did not have the technical equipment to broadcast the channel. The channel later recommenced broadcasting in Regional Queensland, Southern NSW/ACT and Regional Victoria on channel 54 on 17 July 2016. In 2017, 9Life also began broadcasting in Darwin via Nine's O&O station, NTD.
9Life is available in standard definition in metropolitan areas through Nine Network owned-and-operated stations: TCN Sydney, GTV Melbourne, QTQ Brisbane, NWS Adelaide, STW Perth and NTD Darwin as well as NBN Northern New South Wales and other stations CTC Southern NSW/ACT, TNQ Regional QLD and GLV/BCV Regional VIC.
- Barrett, Dan (28 October 2015). "Nine 2016 Upfront: Plans to broadcast in HD and launch new lifestyle FTA channel". Mediaweek. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Knox, David (28 October 2015). "Nine Upfronts 2016: Nine goes HD, new lifestyle channel -and Daryl Somers returns". TV Tonight. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Knox, David (1 December 2015). "New channels up and rating for Nine and SBS". TV Tonight. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- "New Digital Television Services coming to NBN". NBN Television. 16 February 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- Knox, David (10 February 2016). "No 7flix for Prime, new channels "soon" for WIN". TV Tonight. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- Knox, David (26 February 2016). "WIN HD, 9Life launch for regional viewers March 1st". TV Tonight. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- "WIN HD and 9LIFE". WIN Television. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- @WIN_TV (1 March 2016). "To our Tas, Griffith & S.A viewers, the roll-out of #WINHD & @9LIFE will be delayed until tomorrow, we apologies for the inconvenience" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Knox, David (10 March 2016). "WIN HD and 9Life now in regional WA". TV Tonight. Retrieved 11 March 2016.
- White, Dominic (29 April 2016). "Nine and Southern Cross in multi-year affiliation deal". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 29 April 2016.
- "SCA Affiliation Agreement with Nine Entertainment Co., FAQ". Southern Cross Austereo. 5 May 2016. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "Nine On 5 FAQ". Southern Cross Austereo. 12 June 2016. Retrieved 12 June 2016.