The following lists events in the year 2020 in Saudi Arabia.
|See also:||Other events of 2020|
History of Saudi Arabia
- January 1
- January 8
- 2 March – The first case of COVID-19 is confirmed in Qatif, marking the beginning of the pandemic in the country.
- April 24
- April 26
- The kingdom's economy contracted 7 percent in the second economic quarter in comparison to the same time last year. The oil sector shrank 5.3 percent this year in part due to a lack of demand as a result of the pandemic. Oil prices decreased to below $20 a barrel in April after the country entered an oil price war. While a truce among the world’s top oil producers has pushed the price of oil up to $40 a barrel, this figure is still almost half the price of oil per barrel at the start of 2020. Furthermore, oil prices are significantly lower than the $76 a barrel the International Monetary Fund (IMF) says Saudi Arabia requires in order to balance its budget this year. In fact, the kingdom obtains more than three-quarters of its earnings from oil. The kingdom’s non-oil sector shrank by 8.2 percent in the second quarter, as quarantine constraints brought business activity to an almost complete standstill. While those restrictions have been eased, the government imposed harsh austerity measures in recent months and according to experts, this may lead to a slow recovery. According to the government, the unemployment rate soared to a record high of 15.4 percent. According to analysts, recovering from such a hit might be more difficult due to budget constraints as a result of declining oil prices. The IMF expects the Saudi economy to contract by about 7 percent this year and increase growth by 3.1 percent in 2021.
Events by issueEdit
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (May 2021)
- Yemeni rebels say they have released 6 Saudi war detainees, January 1, 2020, AP.
- Arabia to Help Yemen Establish Power Stations Tuesday, 7 January, aawsat.com.
- "Saudi Arabia ends executions for crimes committed by minors, says commission". BBC News. April 27, 2020.
- "Saudi economy shrinks 7% while unemployment hits record high". Al Jazeera. September 30, 2020.
- "Several injured in 'bomb attack' on Armistice Day ceremony at Saudi cemetery". France 24. 11 November 2020. Retrieved 11 November 2020.