2020 Ryder Cup
The 43rd Ryder Cup Matches will be held in the United States from September 25 to 27, 2020, on the Straits course at Whistling Straits, Haven, Wisconsin. Team Europe is the reigning cup holder after its 17½–10½ victory over Team USA in 2018 at Le Golf National.
|Dates||September 25–27, 2020|
- Day 1 (Friday) – 4 foursome (alternate shot) matches and 4 fourball (better ball) matches
- Day 2 (Saturday) – 4 foursome matches and 4 fourball matches
- Day 3 (Sunday) – 12 singles matches
On the first two days there are 4 foursome matches and 4 fourball matches with the home captain choosing which are played in the morning and which in the afternoon.
With a total of 28 points available, 14½ points are required to win the Cup, and 14 points are required for the defending champion to retain the Cup. All matches are played to a maximum of 18 holes.
Team qualification and selectionEdit
The United States qualification rules were announced on February 20, 2019. The qualification rules are similar to those used for the 2018 Ryder Cup. The majority of the team are selected from the Ryder Cup points list which is based on prize money won in important tournaments. Generally one point is awarded for every $1,000 earned. The team consists of:
- The leading eight players on the Ryder Cup points list, gained in the following events
- 2019 major championships
- 2019 World Golf Championship events and The Players Championship (half points)
- 2020 major championships (double points for the winner, 50% extra for those who make the cut)
- 2020 PGA Tour events. Qualifying events in this category are those played between January 1 and August 23, 2020, the date of the BMW Championship, and including the Zurich Classic of New Orleans team event and WGC events. "Alternate" events (those played opposite a major or WGC event) do not earn points
- Four captain's picks
- To be announced after the 2020 Tour Championship, which concludes on September 1.
- The leading four players on the Race to Dubai Points List
- The leading five players, not qualified above, on the World Points List
- Total World Points earned in Official World Golf Ranking events starting in September 2019 with the BMW PGA Championship and ending with the BMW PGA Championship in September 2020. Points earned in the later events of 2020 will be multiplied by 1.5. No World points will be earned from tournaments staged opposite Rolex Series tournaments in both 2019 and 2020.
- Three captain's picks
- To be announced in the week after the final qualifying event.
- "Everything you need to know about the 2020 Ryder Cup". Ryder Cup.
- "How players will qualify for the 2020 U.S. Ryder Cup team". PGA of America. February 20, 2019.
- "Ryder Cup 2020: Padraig Harrington to cut wildcard picks from four to three". BBC Sport. May 8, 2019.
- "Europe Ryder Cup 2020 qualification process confirmed". European Tour. May 8, 2019.
- "Ryder Cup: Steve Stricker named US captain for 2020 against Europe". BBC Sport. February 20, 2019.
- "Padraig Harrington: Europe name Irishman as 2020 Ryder Cup captain". BBC Sport. January 8, 2019.