2019 Wexford by-election
A by-election was held in the Dáil Éireann Wexford constituency in Ireland on Friday, 29 November 2019, to fill the vacancy left by the election of Independents 4 Change TD Mick Wallace to the European Parliament.
Wexford shown within Ireland
It was held on the same day as three other by-elections in Cork North-Central, Dublin Fingal and Dublin Mid-West. The Electoral (Amendment) Act 2011 stipulates that a by-election in Ireland must be held within six months of a vacancy occurring. The by-election writ was moved in the Dáil on 7 November 2019.
Three of the candidates were current Wexford County Councillors; Malcolm Byrne, Jim Codd and George Lawlor. Johnny Mythen was a former Wexford County Councillor while Melissa O'Neill was a former Kilkenny County Councillor.
This was the first occasion the Irish Freedom Party contested any national election as a registered political party and, alongside Cork North-Central, the first time Aontú contested by-elections.
|2019 Wexford by-election|
|Party||Candidate||FPv%||Count 1||Count 2||Count 3||Count 4||Count 5|
|Fianna Fáil||Malcolm Byrne||31.2||12,506||12,660||13,082||14,729||18,830|
|Fine Gael||Verona Murphy||23.8||9,543||9,620||9,943||10,836|
|Labour Party||George Lawlor||20.0||8,024||8,112||8,517||10,907||14,476|
|Sinn Féin||Johnny Mythen||10.3||4,125||4,344||4,665|
|Green Party||Karin Dubsky||6.2||2,490||2,745||3,037|
|People Before Profit||Cinnamon Blackmore||1.6||659|
|Irish Freedom||Melissa O'Neill||1.2||489|
|Electorate: 114,483 Valid: 40,068 Spoilt: 314 (0.8%) Quota: 20,035 Turnout: 40,382 (35.3%)|
- "Four by-elections likely to take place in November". RTÉ News. 17 September 2019.
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act 2011". Irish Statute Book. Retrieved 17 September 2019.
- "Writs moved for four Dáil by-elections". RTÉ News. 7 November 2019.
- "Dáil Éireann debate - Thursday, 7 November 2019: Wexford By-election: Issue of Writ". Houses of the Oireachtas. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "Wexford – General Election: 26 February 2016". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 17 September 2019.