2019 Osaka 12th district by-election
A by-election for the Osaka 12th district in the Japanese House of Representatives was held on 21 April 2019. The by-election was called following the death of the incumbent member Tomokatsu Kitagawa, a member of the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), from peritonitis on 26 December 2018. Kitagawa had served the district almost continuously since 2005 (except between 2009–12) and defended the seat by a narrow 4.4% margin in the 2017 election, making the seat a potential battleground. The by-election was held on the same day with the second round of the unified local elections and another House by-election for the Okinawa 3rd district.
Osaka 12th district
- Shinji Tarutoko (Independent), former Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications and representative for the district.
- Shinpei Kitagawa (LDP), event organiser and nephew of Tomokatsu Kitagawa.
- Fumitake Fujita (Ishin), company president.
- Takeshi Miyamoto (Independent - JCP), former member of the House of Representatives.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2019)
|Liberal Democratic||Shinpei Kitagawa||47,025||30.0|
|Innovation gain from Liberal Democratic||Swing|
- "北川知克・衆院議員が死去、６７歳 元環境副大臣" (in Japanese). Asahi Shimbun. 27 December 2018. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "LDP loses both by-elections in Okinawa, Osaka prefectures". Asahi Shimbun. 22 April 2019. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- Kyodo News (4 February 2019). "北川氏おいが出馬表明 自民擁立、衆院大阪12区" (in Japanese). The Nikkei. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- Okamura, Natsuki; Nakazaki, Taro (10 April 2019). "Lower House by-elections seen as trial run for Upper House poll". Asahi Shimbun. Retrieved 10 April 2019.