2016 Herald Sun Tour
The 2016 Herald Sun Tour was a road cycling stage race that took place in Victoria, Australia, between 3 and 7 February 2016. The race was rated as a 2.1 event as part of the 2016 UCI Oceania Tour.
|UCI Oceania Tour|
|Dates||February 3, 2016–February 7, 2016|
|Distance||540.1 km (335.6 mi)|
|Winning time||12h 53' 00"|
Will Clarke (Drapac Professional Cycling) won the prologue for the second consecutive year and was the first rider to lead the race. He lost the lead on the second stage, when the Team Sky riders Chris Froome and Peter Kennaugh broke away to cross the line 17 seconds ahead of the field; Kennaugh won the stage and took the lead. The following two stages ended in sprints (won by Orica–GreenEDGE's Caleb Ewan and UnitedHealthcare's John Murphy respectively), during which Kennaugh increased his lead. On the final stage, Froome attacked on the penultimate ascent of Arthurs Seat, then attacked again on the final climb to win the stage and take the overall victory. Kennaugh was second, 29 seconds behind, with Damien Howson (Orica–GreenEDGE) third, more than a minute behind Froome. Froome also won the mountains classification and Team Sky won the team classification. Chris Hamilton (Australia) was the best young rider, with Benjamin Hill (Attaque Team Gusto) taking the sprints classification.
UCI Professional Continental teams
UCI Continental teams
|P||3 February||Melbourne||2.1 km (1 mi)||Prologue||Will Clarke (AUS)|
|1||4 February||Healesville–Healesville||126 km (78 mi)||Hilly stage||Peter Kennaugh (GBR)|
|2||5 February||Yarra Glen–Moe||144 km (89 mi)||Hilly stage||Caleb Ewan (AUS)|
|3||6 February||Traralgon–Inverloch||146 km (91 mi)||Hilly stage||John Murphy (USA)|
|4||7 February||Arthurs Seat–Arthurs Seat||122 km (76 mi)||Hilly stage||Chris Froome (GBR)|
=== Prologue ===
3 February 2015 – Melbourne, 2.1 km (1.3 mi)
|1||Will Clarke (AUS)||Drapac Professional Cycling||2m 34"|
|2||Caleb Ewan (AUS)||Orica–GreenEDGE||+ 1"|
|3||Neil Van der Ploeg (AUS)||Avanti IsoWhey Sports||+ 2"|
|4||Robbie Hucker (AUS)||Avanti IsoWhey Sports||+ 3"|
|5||Joseph Cooper (NZL)||Avanti IsoWhey Sports||+ 4"|
|6||Sam Bewley (NZL)||Orica–GreenEDGE||+ 5"|
|7||Niccolò Bonifazio (ITA)||Trek–Segafredo||+ 5"|
|8||Damien Howson (AUS)||Orica–GreenEDGE||+ 5"|
|8||Peter Kennaugh (GBR)||Team Sky||+ 5"|
|10||Anthony Giacoppo (AUS)||Avanti IsoWhey Sports||+ 5"|
4 February 2015 – Healesville–Healesville, 126 km (78 mi)
Classification leadership tableEdit
||Young rider classification
||Most competitive rider
|P||Will Clarke||Will Clarke||Will Clarke||N/A||Caleb Ewan||N/A||Avanti IsoWhey Sports|
|1||Peter Kennaugh||Peter Kennaugh||Peter Kennaugh||Chris Froome||Chris Hamilton||Nicholas Katsonis||Team Sky|
|2||Caleb Ewan||Chris Harper||Chris Harper|
|3||John Murphy||Benjamin Hill||Benjamin Hill|
|4||Chris Froome||Chris Froome||Chris Froome||Fumiyuki Beppu|
|Final||Chris Froome||Benjamin Hill||Chris Froome||Chris Hamilton||Team Sky|
- "Herald Sun Tour — General Classification (preview)". ProCyclingStats. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "Herald Sun Tour — General Classification (startlist)". ProCyclingStats. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "Herald Sun Tour — General Classification (stages)". ProCyclingStats. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "Herald Sun Tour - Prologue (result)". ProCyclingStats. 3 February 2016.
- "Herald Sun Tour - Stage 1 (result)". ProCyclingStats. 4 February 2016.
- "Herald Sun Tour - Stage 1 (GC)". ProCyclingStats. 4 February 2016.
- "Herald Sun Tour - Stage 2 (result)". ProCyclingStats. 5 February 2016.
- "Herald Sun Tour - Stage 2 (GC)". ProCyclingStats. 5 February 2016.
- "Herald Sun Tour - Stage 3 (result)". ProCyclingStats. 6 February 2016.
- "Herald Sun Tour - Stage 3 (GC)". ProCyclingStats. 6 February 2016.
- "Herald Sun Tour - Stage 4 (result)". ProCyclingStats. 7 February 2016.
- "Herald Sun Tour - General Classification (GC)". ProCyclingStats. 7 February 2016.