|See also:||Other events of 2013|
List of years in Austria
- Burgenland: Hans Niessl
- Carinthia: Gerhard Dörfler (until 28 March); Peter Kaiser (from 28 March)
- Lower Austria: Erwin Pröll
- Salzburg: Gabi Burgstaller (until 19 June); Wilfried Haslauer Jr. (from 19 June)
- Styria: Franz Voves
- Tyrol: Günther Platter
- Upper Austria: Josef Pühringer
- Vienna: Michael Häupl
- Vorarlberg: Markus Wallner
- January 21 - Two Vienna S-Bahn trains packed with morning commuters collided on a single-track stretch of line between Hütteldorf and Penzing in Vienna's suburbs in eastern Austria, leaving 41 people injured, five of them seriously. Among the injured was the driver of one of the trains. Both trains were operating the Line S45 service, and both trains were made up of 4024-series rolling stock.
- Shields, Michael (21 January 2013). "Dozens hurt in head-on Vienna commuter train crash". Reuters.
- "Austrian trains in head-on crash". BBC News. 21 January 2013.
- "Five hurt in Vienna rush hour train crash". London: AFP via The Telegraph. 21 January 2013.
- "Zugscrash: 'Menschliche Fehlleistung'" [Train Crash: Human Failure]. wien.orf.at (in German). ORF.