2013 Stadium Super Trucks season
|2013 Stadium Super Trucks|
The 2013 Stadium Super Trucks season was the inaugural season of Stadium Super Trucks competition. The series marked the revival of off-road racing in stadiums, originally created by Mickey Thompson, and reintroduced by former NASCAR driver Robby Gordon. The series is one of four classes available, along with Bigfoot Monster Trucks, Super Trophy Karts and Super Buggys.
|B. J. Baldwin||13|
|10||Greg Adler||1–3, 5|
|21||Rob MacCachren||1–10, 14|
|25||Arie Luyendyk Jr.||1–6, 14|
|47||Mike Jenkins||1–5, 9–13|
|Keegan Kincaid||6, 14|
|48||Scotty Steele||9–10, 13–14|
|74||Sheldon Creed||4–10, 13–14|
|77||Jerett Brooks||4–5, 9–10, 14|
|98||P. J. Jones||All|
Robby Gordon organized an exhibition race at Crandon International Off-Road Raceway in September 2012 for the series to test their equipment. Numerous TORC and LOORS off-road drivers were invited to participate.
The opening race of the season, at University of Phoenix Stadium, initially was led by Justin Matney, until Lalo Laguna passed him on lap 2. However, after hitting the water barrier, Laguna lost the lead to Rob MacCachren, who dominated the rest of the race. Next, the series traveled to Long Beach for the Grand Prix of Long Beach, with ramps added to the track. Justin Lofton won the race. Afterwards, SST remained in southern California at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, on the first ever asphalt track laid in the stadium.
At the Edward Jones Dome, MacCachren triumphed; the next race was scheduled to occur at Soldier Field, but was eventually canceled. The Honda Indy Toronto road course was a late addition to the series schedule as a doubleheader. Justin Lofton and Sheldon Creed won the Saturday and Sunday races, respectively. The next stop was Crandon, with MacCachren claiming his fourth win of the season in the first race on Friday night. In the second race on Sunday afternoon, the trucks raced the track in the opposite direction for the second half of the 12-lap event. Creed and Jerrett Brooks battled for the win, with the latter winning. The next three rounds were held at Sand Sports Super Show, and in the first round, Lofton claimed the pole position with a lap time of 58.222, though the grid was inverted, giving Traxxas owner Mike Jenkins first to start the race. Robby Gordon dueled with Lofton, but Lofton eventually struck a water barrier, as Gordon won. Lofton subsequently suffered from mechanical issues, and finished fifth. In the next round, Gordon took the pole with a time of 58.372, though the field was again inverted, and Jenkins led to begin. However, Jenkins entered turn 2 too quickly, and rolled over, giving Apdaly Lopez the lead, though Lofton passed him. As in the previous race, Lofton and Gordon battled for the victory, but a miscue by Gordon allowed Lofton to get the win. Lofton and Gordon continued to dominate the track, and started first and second, respectively, in the third race. With the invert, Lopez led, and at the lap six restart, Gordon suffered damage to his truck, and rolled over. Gordon was able to make a late charge, but Creed eventually won. The season finale was held at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, held concurrently with the SEMA auto show. In the race, P. J. Jones claimed his first win of the season, while Gordon won the championship by just seven points.
Schedule and resultsEdit
|1||University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale||April 6||N/A||Rob MacCachren|
|2||Grand Prix of Long Beach, Long Beach||April 21||Justin Lofton|
|3||Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles||April 27||Robby Gordon||Robby Gordon|
|4||Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego||May 4||Ricky Johnson||Rob MacCachren|
|5||May 18||Arie Luyendyk Jr.||Robby Gordon|
|6||Edward Jones Dome, St. Louis||June 8||Arie Luyendyk Jr.||Rob MacCachren|
|7||Honda Indy Toronto, Toronto||July 13||Rob MacCachren||Justin Lofton|
|8||July 14||Paul Tracy||Sheldon Creed|
|9||Crandon International Off-Road Raceway, Crandon||August 30||Sheldon Creed||Rob MacCachren|
|10||September 1||Craig Potts||Jerett Brooks|
|11||Sand Sports Super Show, OC Fair & Event Center, Costa Mesa||September 20||Mike Jenkins||Robby Gordon|
|12||September 21||Mike Jenkins||Justin Lofton|
|13||September 22||Apdaly Lopez||Sheldon Creed|
|14||Caesars Palace, Las Vegas||November 7||Rob MacCachren||P. J. Jones|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Round 10 at Crandon.|
- "Mickey Thompson Off-Road Series is revitalized". Off-Road Bulletin. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- Williams, Mark (April 8, 2013). "Stadium Super Trucks Series Launches". PickupTrucks.com. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- Dills, Todd (April 18, 2013). "Off-road truck-racing series honoring pioneer with trophy name". Overdrive Online. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- Wagner, Jan (November 22, 2013). "AutoMatters: Stadium SUPER Trucks at Caesars Palace". Del Mar Times. Archived from the original on November 28, 2013. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- Burns, Josh. "Robby Gordon's Stadium Super Trucks to Debut This Weekend in Crandon". Off-road.com. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- Crowley, Jon (April 7, 2013). "MacCachren Claims Inaugural Stadium SUPER Trucks Race at University of Phoenix Stadium". Side x Side Industry News. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- "Robby Gordon's Stadium Truck series to hold demo race at Long Beach". Racer. February 15, 2013. Archived from the original on February 17, 2013. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- Burns, Josh (April 24, 2013). "Justin Lofton Wins Stadium Super Trucks Round 2 at Long Beach". Off-Road.com. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- Sanchez, Edward (April 25, 2013). "Stadium Super Trucks Comes to Los Angeles". Truck Trend. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- "MacCachren Sweeps Stadium SUPER Trucks at St. Louis". Racer. June 9, 2013. Archived from the original on September 30, 2013. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- "Robbie Gordon's Stadium Super Trucks June 22nd Event Cancelled". Soldier Field. Archived from the original on July 12, 2013. Retrieved December 15, 2013.
- "Speed Energy Stadium Super Trucks Series Announces Changes to 2013 Schedule". Honda Indy Toronto. June 18, 2013. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- DiZinno, Tony (July 15, 2013). "Toronto weekend round-up: Everything besides IndyCar". NBC Sports. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Rob MacCachren & Jerrett Brooks Win At Crandon". Stadium Super Trucks. Archived from the original on September 15, 2013. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- Burns, Josh (September 5, 2013). "MacCachren, Brooks Earn Stadium Super Truck Wins at Crandon". Off-Road. Retrieved December 15, 2013.
- "Gordon Wins SST Round No. 11 at Sand Sports Super Show". Robby Gordon. September 26, 2013. Retrieved December 15, 2013.
- Bourdon, Stuart (October 18, 2013). "SST Off-Road Race To Be At Caesars Palace, Nov. 7, 2013!". Off Road Xtreme. Retrieved December 15, 2013.
- "2013 Race Results". Stadium Super Trucks. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- "2013 SST Point Standings". Stadium Super Trucks. Retrieved March 17, 2014.