2011 San Francisco Giants season
The San Francisco Giants are an American baseball team. Their 2011 season marked their 129th year in Major League Baseball, their fifty-fourth year in San Francisco since their move from New York following the 1957 season, and their 12th in AT&T Park. They opened the 2011 season as the defending World Series champions on March 31, 2011. However, they were eliminated from post-season contention on September 24, 2011, finishing eight games behind that season's National League West champion Arizona Diamondbacks. Despite having the record of lowest runs scored of all time, they led the majors in 9th inning comebacks.
|2011 San Francisco Giants|
|Major League affiliations|
|Owner(s)||Bill Neukom (managing general partner)|
|General manager(s)||Brian Sabean|
|Local television||KNTV (NBC Bay Area 11)|
(Jon Miller, Mike Krukow, Duane Kuiper)
CSN Bay Area
(Duane Kuiper, Mike Krukow, Dave Flemming)
|Local radio||KNBR (680 AM)|
(Jon Miller, Dave Flemming, Duane Kuiper, Mike Krukow)
KIQI (1010 AM, Spanish)
(Erwin Higueros, Tito Fuentes)
|< Previous season Next season >|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (October 2011)
This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (October 2011)
Coming off the team's 2010 World Series success and his two-year, $22 million contract, Aubrey Huff arrived at 2011 spring training out of shape. His OPS dropped 215 points from the previous season to .676, last among Major League first baseman in 2011. Well-intentioned fans sent him thongs throughout the season in hopes of improving his fortunes. Huff was accountable for his struggles contributing to the team's failure to return to the playoffs in 2011.
- November 30, 2010 – The Giants sign free agent IF Miguel Tejada to a one-year contract.
- December 3, 2010 – The Giants re-sign free agent OF Pat Burrell to a one-year contract.
- March 30, 2011 – As spring training concludes, the Giants add rookie 1B Brandon Belt to the 25-man roster and 1B Travis Ishikawa is designated for assignment.
- April 20, 2011 – With LF Cody Ross returning from the disabled list, Brandon Belt is optioned to Fresno.
- April 28, 2011 – P Ryan Vogelsong, replacing an injured Barry Zito makes his first major league start since 2004, earning the win.
- April 30, 2011 – 3B Pablo Sandoval breaks the hamate bone in his right hand and is placed on the disabled list.
- May 25, 2011 – C Buster Posey fractures his lower left leg and ankle in a collision at home plate with Scott Cousins of the Florida Marlins, ending his season.
- May 26, 2011 – SS Brandon Crawford is added to the 40-man roster and promoted to San Francisco from San Jose. Ryan Rohlinger is designated for assignment.
- June 10, 2011 – IF Freddy Sanchez suffers a dislocated shoulder while diving for a ball in a game against the Cincinnati Reds.
- June 13, 2011 – 3B Pablo Sandoval is activated from the disabled list.
- June 28, 2011 – P Barry Zito returns to the mound after more than two months on the disabled list, earning the win to complete a doubleheader sweep of the Chicago Cubs. Zito replaces an injured Jonathan Sánchez in the rotation.
- July 3, 2011 – Pitchers Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Ryan Vogelsong, and Brian Wilson are named to the All-Star Team.
- July 10, 2011 – 3B Pablo Sandoval is named to the All-Star Team as an injury replacement for José Reyes.
- July 14, 2011 – 2B/3B Mike Fontenot is activated from the disabled list.
- July 19, 2011 – The Giants acquire IF Jeff Keppinger in a trade with the Houston Astros and recall Brandon Belt from the minors for the third time in 2011.
- July 27, 2011 – The Giants acquire OF Carlos Beltrán in a trade with the New York Mets for prospect P Zack Wheeler.
- July 31, 2011 – The Giants acquire IF Orlando Cabrera in a trade with the Cleveland Indians for prospect OF Thomas Neal.
- August 27, 2011 – LHP Eric Surkamp is promoted from AA Richmond and makes his major league debut in a start against the Houston Astros, earning a no-decision.
- August 31, 2011 – OF Aaron Rowand and IF Miguel Tejada are designated for assignment. IF Brett Pill is promoted from Fresno and OF Pat Burrell is activated from the disabled list
- September 6, 2011 – 1B Brett Pill hits a home run off Wade LeBlanc of the San Diego Padres in his first at bat in the major leagues.
- September 15, 2011 – 3B Pablo Sandoval hits for the cycle at Coors Field against the Colorado Rockies.
- September 23, 2011 – The Giants are eliminated from the NL Western division with a 3-1 loss to the Arizona Diamondbacks, who simultaneously clinch the divisional title.
- September 24, 2011 – The Giants are eliminated from postseason contention with a 15-2 loss in Arizona.
|San Francisco Giants||86||76||0.531||8||46–35||40–41|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||82||79||0.509||11½||42–39||40–40|
|San Diego Padres||71||91||0.438||23||35–46||36–45|
Record vs. opponentsEdit
2011 National League Records
|Bold||Giants team member|
|2011 Game Log|
† Shortened game (rain)
|2011 San Francisco Giants|
Regular season statsEdit
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; 2B = Doubles; 3B = Triples; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; AVG = Batting average; SB = Stolen bases
Note: W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; G = Games pitched; GS = Games started; SV = Saves; IP = Innings pitched; R = Runs allowed; ER = Earned runs allowed; BB = Walks allowed; K = Strikeouts
- Schulman, Henry (September 30, 2011). "Aubrey Huff told to get himself in better shape". San Francisco Chronicle. p. B-4. Archived from the original on October 4, 2011.
- Baggarly, Andrew (September 29, 2011). "San Francisco Giants expect Aubrey Huff to produce in 2012, or else". San Jose Mercury News. Archived from the original on October 4, 2011.
- Baggarly, Andrew (September 9, 2011). "Poor season is wearing on San Francisco Giants first baseman Aubrey Huff". San Jose Mercury News. Archived from the original on October 4, 2011.
- "Major League Baseball Stats". MLB.com. Retrieved October 4, 2011.
- "Giants sign Tejada to one-year deal". CNN Sports Illustrated. November 30, 2010. Retrieved November 30, 2010.
- "Giants re-sign Outfielder Pat Burrell to one-year contract". MLB.com. December 3, 2010. Retrieved December 4, 2010.
- "Belt makes Giants' 25-man roster, Ishikawa out". CSN Bay Area. March 30, 2011. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- baseball-reference.com Head-to-Head Records