David Hernandez (baseball)
David Jose Hernandez (born May 13, 1985) is an American professional baseball relief pitcher in the New York Yankees organization. He previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Phillies, Atlanta Braves, Los Angeles Angels, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Cincinnati Reds. He attended Cosumnes River College.
Hernandez with the Phillies in 2016
|New York Yankees|
|Born: May 13, 1985|
|May 28, 2009, for the Baltimore Orioles|
|MLB statistics |
(through August 8, 2019)
|Earned run average||4.12|
Hernandez, who is of Mexican-American descent, was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 16th round, 483rd overall pick, of the 2005 Major League Baseball draft. Hernandez made his debut against the Detroit Tigers on May 28, 2009. He went 52⁄3 innings. He gave up five hits, allowed four walks, and one earned run while striking out three. He'd remain in the Baltimore rotation for the remainder of the season, starting 19 games and finishing with a record of 4-10 with a 5.42 ERA. In 101 1⁄3 innings, he struck out 68. The following season he split time between the rotation and the bullpen for the O's, finishing 8-8 in 41 games, 8 of them starts. In 79 1⁄3 innings, he struck out 72.
On December 6, 2010, he was traded to the Arizona Diamondbacks (along with Kam Mickolio) for Mark Reynolds and a player to be named later (John Hester). In his first season in Arizona, Hernandez served as a closer for a time in the season, recording 11 saves. In a career high 74 games, he had 77 strikeouts in 69 1⁄3 innings. He excelled the following season, posting an ERA of 2.50 with 98 strikeouts in 68 1⁄3 innings. In 2013, he had a high ERA (4.48) despite posting 66 strikeouts in 62 1⁄3 innings.
He came back in 2015, posting an ERA of 4.28 in 40 games.
San Francisco GiantsEdit
On March 26, 2017, the Atlanta Braves signed Hernandez to a minor league contract.
Los Angeles AngelsEdit
On April 24, 2017, the Braves traded Hernandez to the Los Angeles Angels in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations. He appeared in 38 games for the Angels and pitched 36.1 innings, had 37 strikeouts, and finished with a 2.23 ERA before being traded to the Diamondbacks on July 31.
Return to ArizonaEdit
On January 30, 2018, Hernandez signed a two-year contract with the Cincinnati Reds. In his first season in Cincinnati, Hernandez appeared in 57 games, registering an ERA of 2.53 in 64 innings. The following season did not go so well for Hernandez as he struggled throughout the season before being designated for assignment on August 10, 2019. He was 2-5 with an ERA of 8.02 in 47 games. On August 10, 2019, the Reds released Hernandez.
New York YankeesEdit
On August 15, 2019, Hernandez signed a minor league deal with the New York Yankees.
Hernandez throws a 95 mph fastball, a 78 mph slider, and an 84 mph changeup. He is known for his high strikeout rate, which improved at every level in the minors, from 9.54 K/9 in A to 12.46 K/9 in AAA. In the minor leagues he was a flyball pitcher – 45% of balls in play were flyballs, with only 38% of them staying on the ground.
Hernandez attempted to join Team Mexico in the 2013 World Baseball Classic, but was not able to put together the proper documentation in time. After an injury to Chris Perez, Hernandez was asked to join Team USA.
- "Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher David Hernandez hopes talent does talking in WBC". azcentral.com. Retrieved August 13, 2015.
- Zrebiec, Jeff (December 6, 2010). "Orioles trade Hernandez, Mickolio to Diamondbacks for Reynolds". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- "Diamondbacks trade John Hester to Baltimore Orioles". The Arizona Republic. April 30, 2011. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Gilbert, Steve (March 31, 2014). "Hernandez to undergo Tommy John surgery". MLB.com. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Breen, Matt (December 9, 2015). "Phillies sign reliever David Hernandez". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Zolecki, Todd (December 9, 2015). "Phillies sign right-handed reliever Hernandez". MLB.com. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Haft, Chris (February 14, 2017). "Giants sign righty reliever David Hernandez". MLB.com. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Bowman, Mark (March 26, 2017). "Braves to finalize bullpen, bench this week". MLB.com. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Bowman, Mark (April 24, 2017). "Braves trade reliever Hernandez to Angels". MLB.com. Retrieved April 24, 2017.
- Angels [@Angels] (31 July 2017). "Today the Angels acquired RHP Luis Madero from the Diamondbacks in exchange for RHP David Hernandez" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "David Hernandez". fangraphs.com. Retrieved August 13, 2015.
- "Minor League Splits". Archived from the original on 2006-08-22. Retrieved 2009-06-07.