The 2010 New South Wales Cup was the 103rd season of New South Wales's top-level statewide rugby league competition. The competition was contested by 12 teams over a 30-week season (including finals), which concluded with the 2010 Grand Final at ANZ Stadium in Sydney.
|2010 New South Wales Cup|
|League||New South Wales Cup|
|Minor Premiers||Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs|
Competition changes edit
Following the 2009 season, Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs would rejoin the competition after winning the premiership competing as the Bankstown City Bulls. NRL team Melbourne Storm ended their association with the Central Coast Storm, forming their own team for the 2010 season. Central Coast would remain in the competition with the assistance of the Newcastle Knights as the Central Coast Centurions, thus expanding the competition to 12 teams.
Season summary edit
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs would claim the minor premiership on the final day of the season, thrashing Melbourne Storm 66–12 to secure the title on points difference from Balmain Ryde-Eastwood Tigers. North Sydney Bears finished with the wooden spoon, having won only five games for the season.
|2010 New South Wales Cup|
|1||Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs (P)||25||20||0||5||0||846||487||369||40|
|2||Balmain Ryde-Eastwood Tigers||25||20||0||5||0||697||482||215||40|
|5||Western Suburbs Magpies||25||15||1||10||0||655||542||113||31|
|10||Central Coast Centurions||25||7||0||18||0||678||868||-190||14|
|12||North Sydney Bears||25||5||0||20||0||471||864||-393||10|
Finals series edit
|Date and Time (local)||Venue|
|Newtown Jets||32 – 28||Wentworthville Magpies||Saturday 11 September 2010, 3:00pm||Henson Park|
|Windsor Wolves||16 – 40||Western Suburbs Magpies||Saturday 11 September 2010, 3:00pm||Windsor Sports Complex|
|Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs||30 – 18||Cronulla Sharks||Saturday 11 September 2010, 3:00pm||Belmore Sports Ground|
|Balmain Ryde-Eastwood Tigers||48 – 18||Melbourne Storm||Saturday 11 September 2010, 3:00pm||Leichhardt Oval|
|Western Suburbs Magpies||20 – 14||Wentworthville Magpies||Sunday 19 September 2010, 1:00pm||Leichhardt Oval|
|Newtown Jets||18 – 34||Windsor Wolves||Sunday 19 September 2010, 3:00pm||Leichhardt Oval|
|Balmain Ryde-Eastwood Tigers||26 – 32||Windsor Wolves||Sunday 26 September 2010, 1:00pm||Leichhardt Oval|
|Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs||32 – 24||Western Suburbs Magpies||Sunday 26 September 2010, 3:00pm||Leichhardt Oval|
|Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs||24 – 12||Windsor Wolves||Sunday 3 October 2010, 12:00pm||ANZ Stadium|
Grand Final edit
Minor premiers Canterbury won the Grand Final on the back of a strong performance from Josh Reynolds who scored two tries and set up a third. The Bulldogs dominated the first half, scoring 16 unanswered points, setting up the victory with a strong defensive display. Windsor playmaker Maurice Blair was forced from the field early in the second half after suffering a suspected broken jaw, after fighting with Bulldogs interchange player Corey Payne. The second half was played in heavy rain, and Windsor threatened to come back into the contest with 20 minutes remaining when Jesse Sene-Lefao caught a pinpoint Craig Trindall kick, but the contest was over when Reynolds scored his second try from a 90-metre intercept.
|Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs||24 – 12||Windsor Wolves|
Referee: David Munro
See also edit
- Middleton, David. 2009 Official Rugby League Annual. Surrey Hills: News Magazines.
- "Storm to enter Melbourne-based team in 2010 NSW Cup". melbournestorm.com.au. Archived from the original on 28 September 2011. Retrieved 26 July 2022.
- "NSW Cup - About". nswrl.com.au. Archived from the original on 7 August 2010. Retrieved 25 May 2023.
- Auerbach, Taylor (9 September 2010). "Bulldogs seal top with thumping". Big League. 91 (Finals Week 1 - #27): 45.
- "NSW Cup 2010 Ladder". nswrl.com.au. Archived from the original on 6 October 2010. Retrieved 28 April 2022.
- Middleton, David (ed.). 2010 Official Rugby League Annual. Sydney: News Magazines. p. 103.
- Auerbach, Taylor (16 September 2010). "Bulldogs and Tigers wait for opponents in the grand final deciders". Big League. 91 (Finals Week 2 - #28): 38.
- Auerbach, Taylor (23 September 2010). "Windsor and Wests make it through to the grand final playoffs". Big League. 91 (Finals Week 3 - #29): 36.
- Barton, Joe (4 October 2010). "Bulldogs defence shows too much hunger for Wolves". The Sydney Morning Herald. Sydney, New South Wales: Fairfax Media Publications Pty Limited. p. 26.
- Middleton, David (ed.). 2010 Official Rugby League Annual. Sydney: News Magazines. p. 116.
- Cauchi, Alex (5 October 2010). "Bulldogs dine on Wolves - Halves play starring roles". The Express. Liverpool, New South Wales: Nationwide News Pty Ltd. p. 55.
- Phelps, James (3 October 2010). "Morrin leads charge to keep Wolves from the door". The Daily Telegraph. Sydney, New South Wales: Nationwide News Pty Ltd. p. 68.