2008 in the European Union
Events in the year 2008 in the European Union.
2008 was designated as:
- 1 January - Cyprus and Malta join the eurozone.
- 1 January - Akrotiri and Dhekelia adopt the euro.
- 1 January - Slovenia starts the presidency of European Union as the first of new member states.
- 29 March - Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia implement the Schengen Agreement for airports.
- 1 July - France takes over the Presidency from Slovenia.
- 12 December - Switzerland joins the Schengen area.
- Cyprus and Malta set to join eurozone in 2008 Archived 2009-01-30 at the Wayback Machine, EurActiv
- Akrotiri and Dhekelia adopt the euro Archived February 29, 2008, at the Wayback Machine, EUbusiness
- Slovenian EU presidency Archived May 16, 2007, at archive.today
- ""Europe's border-free zone expands", BBC News". 2007-12-21. Archived from the original on 21 December 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-21.
- Anonymous (2016-06-16). "The history of the European Union - 2008". European Union. Retrieved 2021-02-18.