2001 Miller Lite 225
The 2001 Miller Lite 225 was a Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART) motor race held on June 3, 2001, at the Milwaukee Mile in West Allis, Wisconsin, USA. It was the 6th round of the 2001 CART FedEx Championship Series season. Team Rahal's Kenny Bräck scored his second career and second consecutive CART race win ahead of a resurgent Michael Andretti and rookie Scott Dixon.
|Race 6 of 21 in the 2001 CART season|
|Date||June 3, 2001|
|Official name||2001 Miller Lite 225|
|Location||Milwaukee Mile, West Allis, Wisconsin, United States|
1 mi / 1.6 km
225 mi / 362.102 km
|Driver||Kenny Bräck (Team Rahal)|
|Driver||Dario Franchitti (Team Green)|
|Time||23.277 (on lap 201 of 225)|
|First||Kenny Bräck (Team Rahal)|
|Second||Michael Andretti (Team Motorola)|
|Third||Scott Dixon (PacWest Racing)|
Bräck's second win in a row cemented his status at the top of the drivers' standings, now thirty points ahead of 2nd place Hélio Castroneves. This was Andretti's first podium of the year and his first after leaving Newman/Haas Racing; he was the only car that seemed capable of challenging Bräck for the win as the race went on. Dixon, who had won at Nazareth earlier in the season, picked up his second career podium and PacWest Racing's final podium in the series.
The race saw multiple crashes take out several championship contenders, as Cristiano da Matta, in a repeat of the previous race at Motegi, crashed on Lap 1 with Castroneves; Paul Tracy then crashed a few laps later. Jimmy Vasser, who was running 3rd, was taken out by Tora Takagi while trying to lap him on Lap 132; Takagi would be disqualified two laps later for his role in the accident. Finally, Christian Fittipaldi and Nicolas Minassian collided near the end of the race, which would prompt Chip Ganassi Racing to drop the latter after the next race in Detroit.
Qualifying was rained out; the lineup was determined by points standings.
|Qualifying not held — Starting lineup|
|1||Kenny Bräck||Team Rahal|
|2||Hélio Castroneves||Team Penske|
|3||Cristiano da Matta||Newman-Haas Racing|
|4||Paul Tracy||Team Green|
|5||Jimmy Vasser||Patrick Racing|
|6||Gil de Ferran||Team Penske|
|7||Tony Kanaan||Mo Nunn Racing|
|8||Scott Dixon (R)||PacWest Racing|
|9||Christian Fittipaldi||Newman-Haas Racing|
|10||Michael Andretti||Team Motorola|
|11||Dario Franchitti||Team Green|
|12||Bruno Junqueira (R)||Chip Ganassi Racing|
|13||Max Papis||Team Rahal|
|14||Nicolas Minassian (R)||Chip Ganassi Racing|
|15||Alex Zanardi||Mo Nunn Racing|
|16||Shinji Nakano||Fernandez Racing|
|17||Roberto Moreno||Patrick Racing|
|18||Oriol Servià||Sigma Autosport|
|19||Tora Takagi (R)||Walker Motorsport|
|20||Bryan Herta||Forsythe Racing|
|21||Michel Jourdain, Jr.||Bettenhausen Racing|
|22||Maurício Gugelmin||PacWest Racing|
|23||Adrian Fernández||Fernandez Racing|
|24||Max Wilson (R)||Arciero Racing|
|25||Alex Tagliani||Forsythe Racing|
|26||Patrick Carpentier||Forsythe Racing|
- Lead changes: 12 among 9 drivers
Standings after the raceEdit
- "CART Saturday Qualifying Summary". Championship Auto Racing Teams. June 2, 2001. Archived from the original on March 28, 2003. Retrieved June 1, 2017.
- "2001 Miller Lite 225 Race Results". Championship Auto Racing Teams. June 3, 2001. Archived from the original on January 10, 2003. Retrieved June 1, 2017.
- "Walker Racing Report". Championship Auto Racing Teams. June 4, 2001. Archived from the original on January 25, 2003. Retrieved June 1, 2017.
- Championship Auto Racing Teams (March 2001). "CART FedEx Championship Series – 2001 Rule Book". Archived from the original on May 28, 2016. Retrieved May 22, 2017.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- "2001 Miller Lite 225". Racing-Reference.info. Retrieved June 1, 2017.
- "Miller Lite 225 Sunday Press Notes". Championship Auto Racing Teams. June 3, 2001. Archived from the original on January 25, 2003. Retrieved June 1, 2017.
- "Ford Racing Detroit Preview". Motorsport.com. Retrieved June 1, 2017.
2001 Firestone Firehawk 500
|CART Indycar World Series
2001 Tenneco Automotive Grand Prix of Detroit
2000 Miller Lite 225
|Miller Lite 225||Next race:|
2002 Miller Lite 250