1997 Bolivarian Games
The XIII Bolivarian Games (Spanish: Juegos Bolivarianos) were a multi-sport event held between October 17–26, 1997, in Arequipa, Peru. The Games were organized by the Bolivarian Sports Organization (ODEBO).
|Host city||Arequipa, Arequipa|
|Opening ceremony||October 17, 1997|
|Closing ceremony||October 24, 1997|
|Officially opened by||Alberto Fujimori|
|Torch lighter||Hernán Llerena|
|Main venue||Estadio Monumental de la Universidad Nacional San Agustín|
The opening ceremony that took place on October 17, 1997, at the Estadio Monumental de la Universidad Nacional San Agustín in Arequipa, Perú. The Games were officially opened by Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori. Torch lighter was 70-year-old former cyclist Hernán Llerena, who won 4 gold medals at the 1947–48 Bolivarian Games and another gold medal at the 1951 Bolivarian Games.
About 1710 athletes from 6 countries were reported to participate:
†: Exhibition event.
‡: The competition was reserved to youth representatives (U-17).
The medal count for these Games is tabulated below. This table is sorted by the number of gold medals earned by each country. The number of silver medals is taken into consideration next, and then the number of bronze medals.
|1997 Bolivarian Games Medal Count|
- Breves Juegos Bolivarianos (in Spanish), El Universal, October 20, 1997, retrieved January 19, 2013
- Gamarra Zorrilla, José, Bolivia Olímpica Capítulos VI al VIII (PDF) (in Spanish), ANDES Academia del Conocimiento y el Desarrollo "Fernando Diez de Medina", retrieved October 22, 2012
- CUADRO DE MEDALLISTAS ECUATORIANOS EN LA HISTORIA DE LOS J. D. B. POR EDICIÓN (PDF) (in Spanish), Comité Olímpico Ecuatoriano, archived from the original (PDF) on June 8, 2012, retrieved October 22, 2012
- Inauguran la villa Bolivariana (in Spanish), explored.com.ec from Hoy, October 15, 1997, retrieved January 19, 2013
- Arequipa Capital Bolivariana (in Spanish), explored.com.ec from Hoy, October 16, 1997, archived from the original on January 6, 2013, retrieved January 20, 2013
- La semana en noticias (in Spanish), El Universal, October 20, 1997, retrieved January 20, 2013
- Contreras, Richard (October 28, 1997), Alarmante retroceso del deporte nacional (in Spanish), El Universal, retrieved January 20, 2013
- La sub 17 se prepara (in Spanish), explored.com.ec from Hoy, September 11, 1997, retrieved January 20, 2013
- RESULTADOS - XIII Juegos Bolivarianos. Arequipa - Perú, 1997 (in Spanish), Comité Organizador de los Juegos Deportivos Bolivarianos 2005, archived from the original on October 11, 2007, retrieved January 16, 2013