The 1993 Tournament of the Americas, later known as the FIBA Americas Championship and the FIBA AmeriCup, was a basketball championship hosted by Puerto Rico from August 28 to September 5, 1993. The games were played in San Juan. This FIBA AmeriCup was to earn the four berths allocated to the Americas for the 1994 FIBA World Championship in Toronto. The United States defeated Puerto Rico in the final to win the tournament, although they had already qualified for the World Championship by winning the 1992 Summer Olympics basketball tournament. Argentina defeated Brazil in the third place game. Cuba defeated Venezuela in 5th place game. All five nations qualified for the 1994 FIBA World Championship.
|Host country||Puerto Rico|
|Dates||August 28 – September 5|
|Venue(s)||1 (in 1 host city)|
|Champions||United States (2nd title)|
Eight teams qualified during the qualification tournaments held in their respective zones in 1993; USA and Canada qualified automatically since they are the only two members of the North America zone.
- North America: Canada, United States
- Caribbean and Central America: Cuba, Dominican Republic, Panama, Puerto Rico
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Venezuela
The draw split the tournament into two groups:
- The top four teams from each group advance to the knockout round. The losers from the knockout quarterfinals compete in a separate bracket to define fifth through eighth place.
- The winners in the knockout semifinals advanced to the Final and were granted berths in the 1994 FIBA World Championship in Canada. The losers figure in a third-place playoff and were both also granted berths in the FIBA World Championship. Since Canada and the United States were already qualified as hosts and Olympic Champions respectively, should they reach one of the top four positions in the final standings, one or two extra berths should be granted to the fifth and/or sixth team in the final standings.
Preliminary round edit
|Qualified for the quarterfinals|
Group A edit
Group B edit
Knockout round edit
Championship Bracket edit
Classification round edit
5th-8th places edit
|1993 Tournament of the Americas winners|
Final standings edit
|Qualified for the 1994 FIBA World Championship|
|Qualified for the 1994 FIBA World Championship as Olympic Champions|
|Qualified for the 1994 FIBA World Championship as hosts|
- 1993 FIBA Americas Championship for Men, FIBA.com.