|Dates||July 20–23, 1978|
|Course(s)||Country Club of Indianapolis|
|Length||6,115 yards (5,592 m)|
|Field||150 players, 66 after cut|
|Cut||154 (+12) |
Defending champion Hollis Stacy won the second of her three U.S. Women's Open titles, one stroke ahead of runners-up JoAnne Carner and Sally Little. She sank a five-foot (1.5 m) putt for par on the 72nd green to secure the win, the second of her four major titles.
Final leaderboard edit
Sunday, July 23, 1978
|Place||Player||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|T6||Donna Caponi Young||68-78-73-75=294||+10||3,260|
- "Nancy Lopez, two others knotted in Women's Open". Bangor Daily News. (Maine). Associated Press. July 22, 1978. p. 17.
- "Lopez teeters, but doesn't topple to share Open lead". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. July 22, 1978. p. 2C.
- Pileggi, Sarah (July 31, 1978). "No open-and-shut Open". Sports Illustrated. p. 61.
- "Stacy makes it two straight". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. July 24, 1978. p. 1B.
- "Hollis Stacy defends Open title with 1-stroke win". Bangor Daily News. (Maine). UPI. July 24, 1978. p. 10.
- "Young sets mark, Lopez sets sights". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. July 21, 1978. p. 3D.
- "Lopez shoots a 'terrible' 79 and Stacy takes advantage". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). wire services. July 23, 1978. p. 6B.