|Dates||June 28–30, 1962|
|Location||Myrtle Beach, South Carolina|
|Course(s)||Dunes Golf and Beach Club|
|Format||Stroke play – 72 holes|
|Length||6,400 yards (5,850 m)|
|Field||68, 41 after cut|
|Prize fund||$8,000 |
Murle Lindstrom, age 23, won the title for her first LPGA Tour victory, two strokes ahead of runners-up Ruth Jessen and Jo Ann Prentice. The first of her four wins on tour, it was the only major title for Lindstrom, later known as Murle Breer.
Defending champion Mickey Wright was a co-leader after 36 holes, but fell back on Saturday morning in the third round and finished five strokes back in a tie for fourth. Wright had won three of the previous four years; she won her fourth U.S. Women's Open two years later in 1964. Jessen led after each of the first three rounds, but a final round 80 (+8) dropped her back.
Final leaderboard Edit
Saturday, June 30, 1962
|Place||Player||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|Jo Ann Prentice||75-77-73-78=303|
|Mary Lena Faulk||78-74-77-78=307|
- "Ruth Jessen grabs Women's Open lead". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. Associated Press. June 29, 1962. p. 15.
- "Miss Wright battles back to tie Ruth for Open lead". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. Associated Press. June 30, 1962. p. 8.
- "Lindstrom snaps records in winning Women's Open". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. Associated Press. July 1, 1962. p. 1, sports.
- "Unknown takes Open as favorites fade". Sunday Star-News. Wilmington, North Carolina. UPI. July 1, 1962. p. 1-C.
- "Open topped by Lindstrom". Spokane Daily Chronicle. Washington. UPI. July 2, 1962. p. 15.
- USGA final leaderboard
- U.S. Women's Open Golf Championship
- U.S. Women's Open – past champions – 1962
- The Dunes Golf & Beach Club