The 5th Rand Grand Prix was a motor race, run to Formula One rules, held on 15 December 1962 at Kyalami, South Africa. The race was run over 50 laps of the circuit, and was won by British driver Jim Clark, who led from start to finish in his Lotus 25.
|1962 Rand Grand Prix|
|Non-championship race in the 1962 Formula One season|
|Date||15 December 1962|
|Official name||V Rand Grand Prix|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||4.096 km (2.545 mi)|
|Distance||50 laps, 204.8 km (127.25 mi)|
There were a very large number of entries for this race, and many of the local drivers did not qualify. Among the more unusual entries was the Lotus 7 of Brausch Niemann, and the non-qualifying Cooper of Dave Riley, which was fitted with a BMC engine.
- Gary Hocking was also entered in his own Lotus-Climax, but raced the one entered by the Rob Walker Racing Team.
- Scuderia Lupini entered a Cooper-Maserati but withdrew it without designating a driver.
- "The Grand Prix Who's Who", Steve Small, 1995.
- "The Formula One Record Book", John Thompson, 1974.
- Race results at www.silhouet.com