1961 College Football All-America Team
The 1961 College Football All-America team is composed of college football players who were selected as All-Americans by various organizations and writers that chose College Football All-America Teams in 1961. The six selectors recognized by the NCAA as "official" for the 1961 season are (1) the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA), (2) the Associated Press (AP), (3) the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA), (4) the Newspaper Enterprise Association (NEA), (5) the Sporting News, and (6) the United Press International (UPI).
For the year 1961, the NCAA recognizes six published All-American teams as "official" designations for purposes of its consensus determinations. The following chart identifies the NCAA-recognized consensus All-Americans and displays which first-team designations they received.
|Roy Winston||Guard||LSU||6/6||AFCA, AP, FWAA, NEA, SN, UPI||CP, Time, WC|
|Ernie Davis||Halfback||Syracuse||6/6||AFCA, AP, FWAA, NEA, SN, UPI||CP, Time, WC|
|Bob Ferguson||Fullback||Ohio State||6/6||AFCA, AP, FWAA, NEA, SN, UPI||CP, Time, WC|
|Billy Neighbors||Tackle||Alabama||6/6||AFCA, AP, FWAA, NEA, SN, UPI||CP, WC|
|Jimmy Saxton||Halfback||Texas||6/6||AFCA, AP, FWAA, NEA, SN, UPI||CP, WC|
|Gary Collins||End||Maryland||5/6||AFCA, FWAA, NEA, SN, UPI||CP, Time, WC|
|Joe Romig||Guard||Colorado||5/6||AFCA, FWAA, NEA, SN, UPI||WC|
|Alex Kroll||Center||Rutgers||5/6||AFCA, AP, FWAA, NEA, UPI||WC|
|Sandy Stephens||Quarterback||Minnesota||5/6||AP, FWAA, NEA, SN, UPI||WC|
|Bill Miller||End||Miami (Fla.)||4/6||AP, FWAA, NEA, SN||Time, WC|
|Merlin Olsen||Tackle||Utah State||4/6||AP, FWAA, NEA, UPI||Time, WC|
All-American selections for 1961Edit
- Gary Collins, Maryland (AFCA, AP-2, FWAA, NEA, SN, UPI-1, CP, Time, WC)
- Bill Miller, Miami (Fla.) (AP-1, FWAA, NEA, SN, UPI-2, Time, WC)
- Greg Mather, Navy (AP-3, FWAA, UPI-2, CP)
- Gary Hillebrand, Colorado (AP-1, FWAA)
- Pat Richter, Wisconsin (AP-2, UPI-1)
- Robert Mitinger, Penn State (AFCA, UPI-3)
- Hugh Campbell, Washington State (AP-3, UPI-3)
- Billy Neighbors, Alabama (AFCA, AP-1, FWAA [guard], NEA, SN, UPI-1, CP, WC)
- Merlin Olsen, Utah State (AP-1, FWAA, NEA, UPI-1, Time, WC)
- Bobby Bell, Minnesota (AFCA, AP-3, FWAA, SN, UPI-2, CP)
- Ed Blaine, Missouri (AP-2, FWAA)
- Don Talbert, Texas (FWAA, UPI-3)
- Fate Echols, Northwestern (Time)
- Steve Barnett, Oregon (AP-2)
- Jim Dunaway, Ole Miss (UPI-2)
- Art Gregory, Duke (AP-3)
- Roy Winston, LSU (AFCA, AP-1, FWAA, NEA, SN, UPI-1, CP, Time, WC)
- Joe Romig, Colorado (AFCA, FWAA, NEA, SN, UPI-1, WC)
- Dave Behrman, Michigan State (AP-1, FWAA, UPI-3 [tackle])
- Nick Buoniconti, Notre Dame (UPI-2, CP)
- Bookie Bolin, Mississippi (Time)
- Mike Ingram, Ohio State (AP-2, UPI-2)
- Dave Watson, Georgia Tech (AP-2)
- Stan Sezurek, Purdue (AP-3, UPI-3)
- Larry Vignali, Pitt (AP-3, UPI-3)
- Alex Kroll, Rutgers (AFCA, AP-1, FWAA, NEA, UPI-1, WC)
- Bill Van Buren, Iowa (SN, CP)
- Ron Hull, UCLA (AP-2, FWAA, UPI-3)
- Irv Goode, Kentucky (Time)
- Larry Onesti, Northwestern (AP-3, UPI-2)
- Sandy Stephens, Minnesota (AP-1, FWAA, NEA, SN, UPI-1, WC)
- Roman Gabriel, North Carolina State (AFCA, AP-2, FWAA, UPI-2, Time)
- John Hadl, Kansas (FWAA)
- Doug Elmore, Mississippi (CP)
- Eddie Wilson, Arizona (AP-3)
- John Hadl, Kansas (AP-3, UPI-2)
- Ernie Davis, Syracuse (AFCA, AP-1,FWAA, NEA, SN, UPI-1, CP, Time, WC)
- Jimmy Saxton, Texas (AFCA, AP-1, FWAA, NEA, SN, UPI-1, CP, WC)
- Lance Alworth, Arkansas (AP-2, FWAA, UPI-2)
- Ronnie Bull, Baylor (UPI-3, Time)
- Pat Trammell, Alabama (AP-2, UPI-2)
- Bennie McRae, Michigan (AP-3)
- Dave Hoppman, Iowa State (AP-3, UPI-3)
- Bold – Consensus All-American
- -1 – First-team selection
- -2 – Second-team selection
- -3 – Third-team selection
- AFCA = American Football Coaches Association
- AP = Associated Press
- FWAA = Football Writers Association of America
- NEA = Newspaper Enterprise Association
- SN = Sporting News
- UPI = United Press International
- CP = Central Press Association
- Time = Time magazine
- WC = Walter Camp Football Foundation
- "Football Award Winners" (PDF). National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). 2016. p. 9. Retrieved October 21, 2017.
- "Coaches' All-America". AFCA.
- "Big Line Tops Classy AP All-America Team". AP.
- "Miami's Bill Miller Chosen As All-American". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. December 8, 1961. p. 36.
- Ted Gangi (ed.). "FWAA All-America Since 1944: The All-Time Team" (PDF). Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- "Collins on NEA All-America Team". Gastonia Gazette. Gastonia, NC.
- "The Sporting News: College Football TSN All America Teams". The Sporting News. Archived from the original on 27 July 2009. Retrieved 19 April 2009. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "UPI Selects 1961 All-America Club". Salt Lake Tribune. Salt Lake, Utah.
- "Ferguson, Davis, Romig Are Repeats On All-America Team". Lodi News-Sentinel. December 7, 1961. p. 8.
- "Captains All-America Teams". Central Press.
- "The Sporting News: 1961 All-America Teams". Time.
- "All-America Teams". Walter Camp Football Foundation. Archived from the original on 18 December 2007. Retrieved 19 April 2009. Cite uses deprecated parameter