1955 Pan American Games
Poster of the 1955 Pan American Games.
|Host city||Mexico City, Mexico|
|Events||146 in 17 sports|
|Stadium||Estadio Olímpico Universitario|
A total number of 2,583 athletes from 22 nations marched in review and formed ranks upon the infield. The nations paraded into the stadium in Spanish alphabetical order: Argentina, Bahamas, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Chile, El Salvador, United States, Guatemala, Haiti, Jamaica, Netherlands Antilles, Panama, Paraguay, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela, and Mexico. The hot sun, combined with the high altitude, caused two members of the U.S. team to collapse. Both quickly recovered.
Host city selectionEdit
On March 6, 1951, PASO selected Mexico City over Guatemala City to host the II Pan American Games. Seventeen of the eighteen countries participated in the vote, with El Salvador abstaining. Guatemala City received two votes, one from Guatemala and one from Mexico, and Mexico City received the remaining fifteen votes.
|1||United States (USA)||81||58||38||177|
|12||Dominican Republic (DOM)||1||0||0||1|
|14||Puerto Rico (PUR)||0||2||2||4|
|16||Netherlands Antilles (AHO)||0||1||2||3|
|17||Trinidad and Tobago (TTO)||0||1||1||2|
|Totals (17 MEXs)||144||139||141||424|
- "II Pan American Games". la84foundation.org. Archived from the original on 2010-05-06. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- The History of the Pan American Games Curtis Ray Emery, 1964
- Jornal dos Sports (1955) (in Portuguese)
- "Los segundos Juegos Panamericanos serán en México en 1955" [The second Pan American Games will be in Mexico in 1955]. El Tiempo (in Spanish). Buenos Aires, Argentina. UP. 7 March 1951. p. 15. Retrieved 7 February 2019.
- "Mexico Site Of 1955 Games". Reno Evening Gazette. Buenos Aires, Argentina. 7 March 1955. p. 14. Retrieved 7 February 2019.
| II Pan American Games