1942 Minnesota Golden Gophers football team
The 1942 Minnesota Golden Gophers football team represented the University of Minnesota in the 1942 Big Ten Conference football season. In their first year under head coach George Hauser, the Golden Gophers compiled a 5–4 record and outscored their opponents by a combined total of 152 to 91.
|1942 Minnesota Golden Gophers football|
|Conference||Big Ten Conference|
|1942 record||5–4 (3–3 Big Ten)|
|Head coach||George Hauser (1st season)|
|Home stadium||Memorial Stadium|
|1942 Big Ten football standings|
|No. 1 Ohio State $||5||–||1||–||0||9||–||1||–||0|
|No. 3 Wisconsin||4||–||1||–||0||8||–||1||–||1|
|No. 9 Michigan||3||–||2||–||0||7||–||3||–||0|
|No. 19 Minnesota||3||–||3||–||0||5||–||4||–||0|
Rankings from AP Poll
Tackle Dick Wildung was named an All-American by the Walter Camp Football Foundation, Associated Press, Stern, Collier's/Grantland Rice, Look Magazine. Wildung was also named All-Big Ten first team.
Dick Wildung was awarded the Team MVP Award.
The Gophers hosted the U.S. Navy Pre-Flight school at the University of Iowa. The Pre-Flight team was coached by Bernie Bierman, who had coached the Golden Gophers to five national titles between 1934 and 1941, and resumed coaching the Golden Gophers in 1945.
|September 26||Pittsburgh*||W 50–7||22,000|
|October 3||Iowa Pre-Flight*||L 6–7||37,500|
|October 10||at Illinois||L 13–20||24,276|
|October 17||at Nebraska*||No. 14||W 15–2||25,000|
|October 24||No. 4 Michigan||No. 13||W 16–14||55,000|
|October 31||Northwestern||No. 10||W 19–7||37,000|
|November 7||Indiana||No. 7||L 0–7||32,000|
|November 14||No. 12 Iowa||No. 16||W 27–7||33,000|
|November 21||No. 7 Wisconsin||No. 10||L 6–20||46,000|
In the fifth week of the season, Minnesota defeated Michigan, 16–14. Tom Kuzma ran for touchdowns in the first and fourth quarters, and Jim Brieske converted both PATs. Bill Daley, who would go on to play for Michigan in 1943, ran 44 yards for a tying touchdown in the second quarter.
- "1942 Minnesota Golden Gophers Schedule and Results". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved November 1, 2017.
- Keiser, Jeff (2007), 2007 Media Guide (PDF), p. 179[permanent dead link]
- Keiser, Jeff (2007), 2007 Media Guide (PDF), p. 180[permanent dead link]
- Keiser, Jeff (2007), 2007 Media Guide (PDF), p. 181[permanent dead link]
- Scott, John (1997), 1942 Iowa Seahawks (PDF), College Football Historical Society, p. 13
- Keiser, Jeff (2007), 2007 Media Guide (PDF), p. 195[permanent dead link]
- Keiser, Jeff (2007), 2007 Media Guide (PDF), p. 160[permanent dead link]
- "MINNESOTA HALTS MICHIGAN, 16 TO 14; 55,000 Watch Gophers Gain Their First Conference Victory of Season". The New York Times. November 22, 1942. Retrieved 14 January 2012.