- First recorded use of the word Chemistry ("Chymistrie") in English, in Thomas Tymme's The Practice of Chymicall and Hermeticall Physicke, translated from Joseph Duchesne.
- The phenomenon of mechanoluminescence is first discovered by Sir Francis Bacon from scratching sugar with a knife.
- Michal Sedziwój publishes the alchemical treatise A New Light of Alchemy which proposes the existence of the "food of life" within air, much later recognized as oxygen.
- "chemistry, n". Oxford English Dictionary online version. Oxford University Press. September 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-02. (subscription or participating institution membership required)
- "Sedziwój, Michal". infopoland: Poland on the Web. University at Buffalo. Archived from the original on 2006-09-02. Retrieved 2007-02-22.