MongoDB, Inc. is an American software company that develops and provides commercial support for the source-available database MongoDB, a NoSQL database that stores data in JSON-like documents with flexible schemas.
|Formerly||10gen, Inc. (2007–2013)|
|Headquarters||New York City, U.S.|
|Revenue||US$590 million (2021)|
Number of employees
|2,539 (January 31, 2021)|
The company was first established in 2007 as 10gen. Based in New York City, 10gen was founded by former DoubleClick founder and CTO Dwight Merriman and former DoubleClick CEO and Gilt Groupe founder Kevin P. Ryan with former Doubleclick engineer and ShopWiki founder and CTO Eliot Horowitz and received $81 million in venture capital funding from Flybridge Capital Partners, In-Q-Tel, Intel Capital, New Enterprise Associates (NEA), Red Hat, Sequoia Capital, and Union Square Ventures. 10gen originally aimed to build a platform as a service architecture based entirely on open source components; however, the company was unable to find an existing database platform that met their "principles" for a cloud architecture. As a result, the company began to develop a document-oriented database system it called MongoDB. After realizing the potential of the software on its own, 10gen's team decided to scrap its cloud platform and focus on maintaining MongoDB instead. In February 2009, 10gen released MongoDB as an open source project. 10gen opened its first west coast office in August 2010, having offices in Palo Alto, Reston, London, Dublin, Barcelona, and Sydney by 2012.
On August 27, 2013, 10gen announced that it would change its name to MongoDB Inc., associating itself more closely with what ultimately became its flagship products.
CIA backing concernEdit
- "MongoDB Inc. Appoints Dev Ittycheria as President and CEO". Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- "MongoDB, Inc. Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year Fiscal 2021 Financial Results". yahoo.com.
- NYC's Largest Venture Capital Deals
- WSJ, MarketWatch
- Harris, Derrick (May 29, 2012). "With $42M more, 10gen wants to take MongoDB mainstream". GigaOm.
- Metz, Cade (May 25, 2011). "MongoDB daddy: My baby beats Google BigTable". The Register.
- MongoDB Blog - March 2010
- "10gen embraces what it created, becomes MongoDB Inc". Gigaom. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- 10gen Announces Key Hires in Engineering and Sales
- Get in Touch | MongoDB. 10gen.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-18.
- Sequoia Leads $20 Million Round In MongoDB Big Data Database Provider 10gen
- The Next Big Thing 2012 Archived June 4, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- MongoDB Inc. Appoints Dev Ittycheria as President and CEO
- "Prospectus Supplement for Run 424(b)(5)". US Securities and Exchange Commission. June 30, 2021. Retrieved July 22, 2021.
- Joseph, Lison (Dec 3, 2013). "MongoDB startup hired by Aadhaar got funds from CIA VC arm". The Economic Times.