100 Miles and Runnin'
100 Miles and Runnin' is the only extended play by American hip hop group N.W.A. It was released on August 14, 1990 by Ruthless Records and Priority Records. Though released to mixed reviews, the album reached platinum status in the United States by September 1992 and ultimately sold over 1,500,000 copies worldwide.
|100 Miles and Runnin'|
|Released||August 14, 1990|
|Studio||Audio Achievements (Torrance, CA)|
|Singles from 100 Miles and Runnin'|
Prior to recording the EP, MC Ren, Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, & DJ Yella had signed a long-term contract with the Ruthless Records label to be an official "N.W.A." group for $75,000 USD for work on Straight Outta Compton, the EP, advance & for their future work for Niggaz4life. However, member and lead vocalist Ice Cube refused the contract's terms and consequently separated himself from the group, kicking off his solo career and making 100 Miles the first record the group released after he left.
The title track "100 Miles and Runnin'" was the group's first track to gain radio airtime and appear on TV with its music video. Dr. Dre, who had just finished working with The D.O.C. and Above the Law, heavily contributed to "Just Don't Bite It". "Sa Prize, Pt. 2" is a sequel to Straight Outta Compton's controversial "Fuck tha Police".
The group makes a number of references to Ice Cube. On the title track, Dre states "It started with five but yo, one couldn't take it/So now there's four 'cause the fifth couldn't make it". In "Real Niggaz", he is likened to the proverbial American traitor Benedict Arnold. The song also states "Only reason niggas pick up your record is cause they thought it was us", which refers to Ice Cube's first solo album AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted. Ice Cube himself responded to these attacks on Death Certificate's "No Vaseline".
Three songs from the EP, "100 Miles and Runnin'", "Just Don't Bite It", and "Real Niggaz", were later released on N.W.A's Greatest Hits. "Real Niggaz" also appears on N.W.A's final studio album, Efil4zaggin, a year later; the 2003 remastered edition of the album appended the rest of the EP to the track listing. "Just Don't Bite It" was later sampled in Eazy-E's solo track "Gimme That Nutt", as well as Sublime's "Let's Go Get Stoned."
Although the album was released as an EP, it nevertheless hit the charts and sold over 500,000 copies, reaching Gold status on November 16, 1990 before reaching Platinum certification on September 16, 1992 for over 1 million copies sold.
|1.||"100 Miles and Runnin'"||4:32|
|2.||"Just Don't Bite It"||L. Patterson||5:28|
|3.||"Sa Prize (Part 2)"||L. Patterson||5:59|
- Eric Wright – executive producer, vocals
- Lorenzo Patterson – vocals, lyrics
- Andre Young – producer, vocals (tracks 1, 3-5)
- Antoine Carraby – producer, DJ
- Tracy Lynn Curry – lyrics (tracks 1, 4), vocals (track 3)
- Gregory Fernan Hutchison – lyrics (tracks 1)
- Michael Sims – bass, guitar
- Brian Kilgore – tambourine (track 2)
- Donovan Smith – engineer
- Steve Huston – artwork
- Kevin Hosmann – art direction
- David Provost – photography
- Jerry Heller – management
|US Billboard 200||27|
|US Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums||10|
|Billboard Hot 100||Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles Chart|
|1990||"100 Miles and Runnin'"||-||#51|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Jason Birchmeier. "Allmusic review". Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2010-11-24.
- Sandow, Greg (August 31, 1990). "100 Miles and Runnin':Music Review:Entertainment Weekly". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 23, 2009.
- "rapreviews.com review". Retrieved 2010-11-25.
- "Robert Christgau review". Retrieved 2010-11-25.
- Kazeem (August 4, 2010). NWA "100 Miles and Runnin. The Source. Retrieved on 2016-12-28.
- "RIAA searchable certification database". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2010-11-25.
- "100 Miles and Runnin' chart positions". Rovi Corporation/Billboard. Retrieved 2010-11-25.
- "100 Miles and Runnin' song chart positions". Rovi Corporation/Billboard. Retrieved 2010-11-25.
- "American album certifications – NWA – 100 Miles and Runnin'". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.