Élaine Michaud (born October 17, 1985) is a Canadian politician, who was elected to the House of Commons of Canada in the 2011 election. She represented the electoral district of Portneuf—Jacques-Cartier as a member of the New Democratic Party.
|Member of the Canadian Parliament|
May 2, 2011 – August 4, 2015
|Preceded by||André Arthur|
|Succeeded by||Joël Godin|
|Born||October 17, 1985|
|Political party||New Democratic Party|
Michaud won with 42.7% of the vote, defeating incumbent independent MP André Arthur by a margin of 7,793 votes. After the election, Arthur insulted her, saying he did not know what he could have said to people in his riding to avoid being beaten by a "fat girl with unclean teeth." Michaud responded saying that the comments reflected Arthur's "well-known pettiness" and stating she intended to "do politics differently."
Among Michaud's issues in the 41st Parliament were the issue of contaminated water in Shannon, Quebec, near the Valcartier military base in her riding and public opposition to the construction of Neuville Airport.
During the 41st Parliament, Michaud served as a member of the House Committees on Environment and Sustainable Development and Official Languages, and an associate member of the Committees on Finance, National Defence, and Veterans Affairs.
- Election 2011: Portneuf—Jacques-Cartier. The Globe and Mail, May 2, 2011.
- Tamsin McMahon (May 4, 2011). "The REALLY New Democrats". National Post. Retrieved May 4, 2011.
- Matthieu Boivin (July 7, 2011). "André Arthur ridiculise son successeur, Élaine Michaud". Le Soleil (in French). Retrieved February 21, 2012.
«Je sais pas ce que j'aurais pu faire pour empêcher les gens de voter pour une grosse fille qui a les dents pas propres.»
- Matthieu Boivin. "André Arthur ridiculise son successeur, Élaine Michaud". Le Soleil (in French).
«Si je me suis lancée en politique, c'était pour faire de la politique autrement.[...] Ces commentaires de M. Arthur reflètent la mesquinerie qu'on lui connaît.»
- Denise Paquin (June 22, 2012). "Eau à Shannon: Michaud déçue du jugement". Courrier de Portneuf (in French). Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- Raymond Giroux (June 23, 2012). "Un cas pointu pour Élaine Michaud". Le Soleil (in French). Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- "Member of Parliament Profile (Current): Élaine Michaud." Parliament of Canada. Accessed 26 June 2012.
- "Two more Quebec MPs step out to endorse Peggy Nash for NDP leadership". Peggynash.ca. Retrieved February 10, 2012.
- [In French] St. Pierre, Guillaume. "Élaine Michaud brigue la présidence du NPD," Journal de Montreal, March 24, 2016.
|This article about a Quebec Member of Parliament is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|