Yulee is a Census county division (CCD) in Nassau County, Florida, United States. The population is currently 28,798 as of April 2018. Yulee is part of the Jacksonville metropolitan area, which was home to 1,504,980 people in 2017. Today, the Yulee CCD is a residential bedroom community for those who commute to Jacksonville, Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, or other locations in Southeast Georgia, but is working to diversify its tax base.
Images from top, left to right: Railroad in Yulee, Robert M. Foster Justice Center, Yulee High School, Tributary of the Nassau River
|• Total||180 sq mi (466.2 km2)|
|• Land||180 sq mi (466.2 km2)|
|Elevation||36 ft (11 m)|
|Population (As of April 22, 2018)|
|• Density||160/sq mi (414.4/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|ZIP codes||32041, 32097, 32034|
|GNIS feature ID||0293610|
Yulee is located within 15 miles of Amelia Island and the Jacksonville International Airport and is home to the Florida State College at Jacksonville's Nassau Center, the White Oak Conservation, two renown golf courses, the Nassau Wildlife Management Area, Robert M. Foster Justice Center, Four Creeks State Forest, the Yulee Branch Library, Nassau County Sheriff's Office Headquarters, and the Florida Welcome Center on Interstate 95. In addition the Yulee CCD is provided regional services by the Jacksonville Transportation Authority.
Yulee is located at (30.630679, -81.573981).
According to the Fernandina Observer, the Yulee CCD has a total area of 414.4 km² (180.0 mi²).
There are more than 10 neighborhoods within Yulee CCD.
- Heron Isles
- Hickory Village
- Hideaway and Pinewood Pointe
- Lofton Oaks
- Meadowfield Bluffs
- Pirate's Wood
- Plummers Creek
- River Glen
- Timber Creek Plantation
- Wilson Neck
- Yulee Hills
- Flood Acres
The Yulee CCD is covered by area code:
The Yulee CCD is covered by several ZIP codes:
- 32034 - which it shares with Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island
Other unincorporated communitiesEdit
According to the Fernandina Observer it stated that the entire Yulee Census County Division had a total population of 28,798 as of April 22, 2018.
The racial makeup of Yulee in 2014 was 89.2% White, 7.0% African American, 0.1% Native American, 1.6% Asian, 0.0% Pacific Islander, 0.1% from other races, and 2.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.9% of the population. 77.9% of the population was 18 years of age or older.
|Age Range as of 2014||Percentage|
|Under 5 years||6.4%|
|5 to 9 years||6.4%|
|10 to 14 years||4.5%|
|15 to 19 years||6.5%|
|20 to 24 years||5.3%|
|25 to 34 years||14.9%|
|35 to 44 years||13.5%|
|45 to 54 years||14.6%|
|55 to 59 years||7.9%|
|60 to 64 years||5.2%|
|65 to 74 years||9.9%|
|75 to 84 years||2.8%|
|85 years and over||2.0%|
Like much of the south Atlantic region of the United States, the Yulee has a humid subtropical climate (Köppen Cfa), with mild weather during winters and hot and humid weather during summers. Seasonal rainfall is concentrated in the warmest months from May through September, while the driest months are from November through April. Due to Yulee's low latitude and proximity to the coast it allows for very little cold weather, and winters are typically mild and sunny.
|Climate data for Nassau County, Florida|
|Average high °F (°C)||63.0
|Daily mean °F (°C)||53.8
|Average low °F (°C)||44.5
|Average precipitation inches (mm)||3.42
|Average precipitation days (≥ 0.01 in)||9.1||8.4||8.4||5.9||6.0||11.5||11.9||12.5||11.8||8.1||7.3||8.2||109.1|
|Source: NOAA (1981-2010 Normals)|
The average household income is $71,477 and the average home value is $234,194. In total there are 5,242 total housing units and of which 3,493 are owner occupied, 1,323 are renter occupied, and 426 units are vacant.
Yulee has a number of outdoor festivals and events, the most prominent of which is the annual Holiday Festival and Parade. Yulee has numerous restaurants, cafes, and several bars. By night, Yulee offers nightlife frequented by locals, young professionals, students from the nearby college, and tourists. Yulee has a sports complex and gymnasium.
Yulee is home to two world-class golf courses: The Golf Club at North Hampton was designed in part by Arnold Palmer, and is over 7,000 acres, has 18 holes and a 72 par. and the Amelia National Golf & Country Club, designed by Tom Fazio which has 18 holes and a 72 par.
Yulee is the headquarters for the Nassau County Economic Development Board, which represents all of Nassau County as a desirable place to relocate a business or to expand an existing business. The Nassau County Sheriff's Office is also headquartered in Yulee. In November 2017 it was announced that the University of Florida will be building two health and fitness facilities. In January of 2018 the large energy company Florida Public Utilities announced that they will be relocating to Yulee and will be building a new 55,000 square foot corporate headquarters.
The Florida Welcome Center located in northern Yulee is a "tourist information house", located near the Florida/Georgia state line on I-95. This center provides incoming visitors with a variety of information on travel, highways, sports, climate, accommodations, cities, outdoor recreation, and attractions. In tribute to the citrus industry (which historically has been a major part of Florida's economy), every visitor is offered a free cup of Florida citrus juice (orange or grapefruit).
In March 2016, Rayonier announced that they would be building a new corporate headquarters within the Yulee CCD. Rayonier also plans to develop a 24,000 acre pine forest in Yulee into a community complete with housing, offices, medical facilities, shopping centers, light industrial facilities and schools. The development, starting with 4,200 acres and is called Wildlight. Rayonier is also working with Nassau County to develop the Wildlight Elementary School at a cost of $26 million which is scheduled to open for the start of the 2017-2018 academic year with 600 students.
Fire and rescueEdit
The Yulee CCD is served by its own fire department and two additional regional fire stations, the all-career Nassau County Fire Rescue Stations 30 and 70. The Yulee Volunteer Fire Department is dispatched along with the County department to all fire calls in the Yulee area.
The Nassau County Sheriff's Office provides services for the citizens within the Yulee CCD and Nassau County. The Office of the Sheriff has a duty to enforce both the Florida Constitution and Florida state laws and statutes, and to provide for the security, safety and well being of its citizens. This is accomplished through the delivery of law enforcement services, the operation of the Nassau County Jail and Detention Center, and the provision of court security. The Nassau County Sheriff's Office Headquarters is located at 76001 Bobby Moore Cir, Yulee, FL 32097.
The Robert M. Foster Justice Center (previously known as the Nassau County, Florida Judicial Complex) is located within the Yulee CCD. The facility was opened in 2004 to augment the historic Nassau County Courthouse located in Fernandina Beach, Florida. This facility contains over 111,000 square feet and cost over $20 million to build.
Florida State College at Jacksonville (FSCJ), a state college in the Florida College System, has a campus named the Nassau Center located within the Yulee CCD. The college is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The Nassau Center offers courses, certificates, and degree programs in various fields and includes an Outdoor Education Center, which is a 16-acre natural space owned by FSCJ.
Public primary and secondary schools in Yulee and Nassau County are administered by Nassau County Public Schools, which is governed by a six-member Nassau County School Board. In total 21 total schools comprise the Nassau County Public Schools and the system currently enrolls 11,155 students.
Public secondary schools:
- Yulee High School (9-12)
- Yulee Middle (6-8)
Public primary schools:
- Wildlight Elementary School (Kindergarten-5 and ESE)
- Yulee Elementary (3-5)
- Yulee Primary (Pre Kindergarten-2)
- Nassau Christian School (Pre Kindergarten-12)
Yulee provides adult education in a variety of subjects at the FSCJ Nassau Center and at the Yulee Public Library.
There are 14 hospitals in or near the Yulee CCD.
- Kris Anderson - National Basketball Association player with the Milwaukee Bucks
- George Crady - Former member of the Florida House of Representatives
- Kyle Denney - Major League Baseball catcher
- Derrick Henry - football, 2015 Heisman Trophy Winner running back at Alabama, and the Tennessee Titans
- Apple Pope - American rugby league player who currently plays for the United States national rugby league team.
- DJ Stewart - baseball left fielder at Florida State University
- Zack Taylor - Major League Baseball player and manager for the St. Louis Browns
- Tom Schwartz - Entrepreneur, 'mactor' and star of Bravo's 'Vanderpump Rules'
- 2018 Yulee CCD population
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- 2018 Yulee CCD population
- U.S. Census info on the Jacksonville Metro population
- About Yulee's tax base
- Florida Welcome Center
- JTA Services for Yulee
- "Nassau County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- Hunn, Max (Aug 19, 1956). "Driving through Florida history". Ocala Star-Banner. p. 29. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Neighborhoods in Yulee CCD
- Reference about Yulee CCD Zip Codes
- 2018 Yulee CCD population
- Yulee racial makeup Archived November 29, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Yulee, Florida Detailed Profile". City-Data.com. 2016-01-06. Retrieved 2016-01-06.
- "NOWData - NOAA Online Weather Data". National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Retrieved February 8, 2016.
- "Station Name: FL YULEE". National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- Average Home Value info
- About Yulee housing
- About the Holiday Festival and Parade
- About the Yulee Sports Complex and Gymnasium
- "North Hampton Golf Club Fernandina Beach, FL". Hampton Golf Clubs. 2012-12-04. Retrieved 2015-08-09.
- Duane Kennerson. "Amelia National Golf & Country Club - Amelia National Golf & Country Club". Amelianationalgolf.com. Retrieved 2015-08-09.
- About Amelia National Golf & Country Club
- About NCEDB
- About the NCSO
- UF Health and Fitness facilities
- Florida Public Utilities announces new headquarters in Yulee
- Promotion Corporation - State of Florida
- Wildlight Development District
- About the Wildlight Elementary School
- About the Yulee fire department
- "Station 30." Nassau County. Retrieved on February 14, 2017. "Station 30 Yulee 86028 Pages Dairy Road Yulee, Florida 32097"
- About the Yulee Volunteer Fire Department
- About the Nassau County Sheriff's Office
- About the Robert M. Foster Justice Center
- "Betty P. Cook Nassau Center". www.fscj.edu. Florida State College at Jacksonville. 2013. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- Reiss, Sarah W. (2009). Insiders' Guide to Jacksonville, 3rd Edition. Globe Pequot. pp. 184–187. ISBN 0-7627-5032-4. Retrieved May 18, 2011.
- About Nassau County Schools
- About Wildlight
- About Yulee Continuing Education
- About the Yulee Branch Library
- List of Hospitals
- "Before Vanderpump Rules, Tom Schwartz Was a Fairy on This Popular Vampire Show". Bravo TV Official Site. 2018-03-08. Retrieved 2018-05-13.