You Know I Can't Hear You When the Water's Running
You Know I Can't Hear You When the Water's Running is a collection of four unrelated one-act comedy plays by Robert Anderson.
|You Know I Can't Hear You When the Water's Running|
Broadway production poster
|Written by||Robert Anderson|
|Date premiered||March 13, 1967|
|Place premiered||Ambassador Theatre|
New York City
In The Shock of Recognition, playwright Jack Barnstable auditions Richard Pawling for a role that requires nudity and discovers the overeager actor is more than willing to show his stuff. The Footsteps of Doves focuses on Harriet and George, a married couple shopping for twin beds after many years of marriage. George, who is opposed to the change, strikes up a conversation with Jill, a considerably younger fellow shopper who shares his view. In I'll Be Home for Christmas, Chuck and Edith realize how empty their marriage has become as they await the arrival of their adult children. I'm Herbert is a scattered conversation between Herbert and Muriel, an elderly couple with memory problems who try in vain to recall their earlier relationships.
After 15 previews, the original Broadway production opened on March 13, 1967 at the Ambassador Theatre. It transferred twice, to the Broadhurst Theatre and then the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, before it completed its run of 756 performances on January 4, 1969.
Directed by Alan Schneider, the opening night cast included Eileen Heckart, Martin Balsam, George Grizzard, and Melinda Dillon. Replacements later in the run included Larry Blyden, Irene Dailey, and William Redfield.
Balsam won the Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play. Schneider was nominated for the Tony Award for Best Direction of a Play but lost to Mike Nichols for Plaza Suite.
The Shock of Recognition
- Jack Barnstable .... Joe Silver
- Herb Miller .... George Grizzard
- Richard Pawling .... Martin Balsam
- Dorothy .... Melinda Dillon
The Footsteps of Doves
- Salesman .... George Grizzard
- Harriet .... Eileen Heckart
- George .... Martin Balsam
- Jill .... Melinda Dillon
I'll be Home for Christmas
- Chuck .... Martin Balsam
- Edith .... Eileen Heckart
- Clarice .... Melinda Dillon
- Herbert .... George Grizzard
- Muriel ....Eileen Heckart
- From Prague's theatre of Agency Harlekýn. Directed by Pavel Háša.
Poznání šokem (The Shock of Recognition)
- Herb Miller .... Petr Nárožný
- Jack Barnstable .... Jiří Ptáčník
- Richard Pawling .... Václav Vydra
- Dorothy .... Dana Morávková or Eva Janoušková
Stopy Holubic (The Footsteps of Doves)
- Harriet .... Libuše Švormová
- George .... Jiří Ptáčník
- Jill .... Dana Morávková or Eva Janoušková
- Shopassistant .... Václav Vydra
Já jsem Herbert (I'm Herbert)
- Herbert .... Petr Nárožný
- Muriel .... Květa Fialová