You Are the Sunshine of My Life
"You Are the Sunshine of My Life" is a 1973 single released by Stevie Wonder. The song became Wonder's third number-one single on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and his first number-one on the Easy Listening chart. It won Wonder a Grammy Award for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance, and was nominated for both Record of the Year and Song of the Year. This song was the second single (following "Superstition") released from the 1972 album entitled Talking Book, which stayed at number one on the R&B charts for three weeks.
|"You Are the Sunshine of My Life"|
|Single by Stevie Wonder|
|from the album Talking Book|
|Format||7" 45 RPM|
|Stevie Wonder singles chronology|
The first two lines of the song are sung, not by Wonder, but by Jim Gilstrap; Lani Groves sings the next two. Gilstrap and Groves, together with Gloria Barley, also provide backing vocals. The single version of the song differs from the album version with the addition of horns to the mix; this version is also included in the greatest hits compilation album Stevie Wonder's Original Musiquarium I.
In popular cultureEdit
In 1997, Pauline Wilson covered the song for her second solo album Only You. In 2016, Jack White performed an alternative rock version the song with The Muppets for the series finale of The Muppets.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961–2001. Record Research. p. 262.
- Hogan, Ed. "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" (song review), AllMusic.com.
- "287. Stevie Wonder, 'You Are the Sunshine of My Life'", 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, Rolling Stone, April 7, 2011.
- Bronson, Fred (2003). The Billboard Book of Number One Hits: Updated and Expanded 5th Edition. Random House Digital, Inc. p. 333.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (doc). Australian Chart Book, St Ives, N.S.W. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- Canada, Library and Archives (July 17, 2013). "Image : RPM Weekly". bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved April 14, 2018.
- "NZ Listener chart summary". Flavour of New Zealand. Retrieved October 8, 2016.
- "Cash Box Top 100 5/19/73". Archived from the original on January 21, 2016. Retrieved March 1, 2016.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1973/Top 100 Songs of 1973". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved October 8, 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on January 11, 2015. Retrieved June 25, 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Blistein, Jon (March 1, 2016), "See Jack White Sing 'You Are the Sunshine of My Life' With the Muppets". Retrieved March 29, 2017.
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
- Smith, Giles, "Lives of the great songs: Nobody does it better: You are the sunshine of my life: Every supper-club singer under the sun has had a go at Stevie Wonder's 1972 classic. And none has cracked it...", The Independent, July 31, 1993.
- "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" at Songfacts.
|This 1970s single–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|