You (Gong album)
You is the fifth studio album by the progressive rock band Gong, released by Virgin Records in October 1974. It is the last album by Daevid Allen's iteration of the group until 1992's Shapeshifter. Recorded at Virgin's Manor Studios in Oxfordshire, England, side 1 was mixed at Pye Studios, Marble Arch, London, while side 2 was mixed at The Manor. It was produced by Simon Heyworth and Gong "under the universal influence of C.O.I.T., the Compagnie d'Opera Invisible de Thibet", and also engineered by Heyworth.
|Studio album by|
The Manor, Oxfordshire, England
|Producer||Simon Heyworth and Gong|
|Daevid Allen's Gong chronology|
You is the third of the "Radio Gnome Invisible" trilogy of albums, following Flying Teapot and Angel's Egg. The trilogy forms a central part of the Gong mythology. The structure of the album mixes short narrative pieces with long, jazzy instrumentals (such as "Master Builder", "A Sprinkling of Clouds" and "Isle of Everywhere"), building to a climax/conclusion with "You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever".
Japanese psych-rock band Acid Mothers Temple also frequently cover "Master Builder", entitled "Om Riff", and have released 2 full albums dedicated to album-length renditions of the song: 2005's "IAO Chant From The Cosmic Inferno" and 2012's "IAO Chant From The Melting Paraiso Underground Freak Out".
British ska band The Beat incorporated the "Master Builder" riff into live performances of "Mirror in the Bathroom" during their 2000's reunion, as can be heard on their 2013 live album "Live In London".
|1.||"Thoughts for Naught" (listed as "Thought for Naught" on original LP sleeve)||Daevid Allen, Tim Blake, Steve Hillage, Mike Howlett, Didier Malherbe, Pierre Moerlen||1:32|
|2.||"A P.H.P.'s advice"||Allen, Blake, Hillage, Howlett, Malherbe, Moerlen||1:47|
|3.||"Magick Mother Invocation"||Allen, Blake, Hillage, Howlett, Malherbe, P. Moerlen, Mireille Bauer, Miquette Giraudy, Benoit Moerlen, Gilli Smyth||2:06|
|4.||"Master Builder"||Allen, Blake, Hillage, Howlett, Malherbe, P. Moerlen, B. Moerlen, Bauer, Giraudy, Smyth||6:07|
|5.||"A Sprinkling of Clouds"||Allen, Blake, Hillage, Howlett, Malherbe, Moerlen||8:55|
|6.||"Perfect Mystery" (listed as "Perfect Mistery" on original LP sleeve)||Allen, Blake, Hillage, Howlett, Malherbe, Moerlen||2:29|
|7.||"The Isle of Everywhere"||Allen, Blake, Hillage, Howlett, Malherbe, Moerlen||10:20|
|8.||"You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever"||Allen, Blake, Hillage, Howlett, Malherbe, P. Moerlen, B. Moerlen, Bauer, Giraudy, Smyth||11:22|
- Daevid Allen ("Dingo Virgin") – gliss guitar, vocals ("vocal locust and glissandoz guitar")
- Gilli Smyth ("Shakti Yoni") – vocals ("poems and space whisper")
- Didier Malherbe ("Bloomdido Bad de Grasse") – wind instruments and vocals
- Tim Blake ("Hi T Moonweed") – Moog, EMS synthesizer, Mellotron
- Miquette Giraudy ("Bambaloni Yoni") – vocals ("wee voices and chourousings")
- Steve Hillage – lead guitar
- Mike Howlett – bass guitar
- Pierre Moerlen – drums, percussion
- Mireille Bauer – pitched percussion
- Benoit Moerlen – pitched percussion
- Also credited
- "Venux De Luxe" (Francis Linon) – Switch Doctor and stage sound
- Wizz De Kidd – lighting
- David ID – road management
- Ross Smith, David (2011). "You (Radio Gnome Invisible, Vol. 3) – Gong | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 24 June 2011.