Yehuda Shoenfeld works at Sheba Medical Center in Tel HaShomer and the Sackler Faculty of Medicine at Tel-Aviv University. He studied at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He is the incumbent of the Laura Schwarz-Kipp Chair for Research of Autoimmune Diseases. Shoenfeld is the editor of two journals, Harefuah (Medicine) in Hebrew with English abstracts and Israel Medical Association Journal (IMAJ). He is co-editor-in-chief of Autoimmunity Reviews, and co-editor of the Journal of Autoimmunity, and member of the editorial board of the Clinical Reviews in Allergy & Immunology.
Schoenfeld, who has been characterized as an anti-vaccinationist, proposed a syndrome he calls Autoimmune Syndrome Induced by Adjuvants (ASIA), which purports to be an autoimmune response to vaccine adjuvants. There is a lack of reproducible evidence for any causal relationship between adjuvant and autoimmune condition. A study of 18,000 people showed that there is no merit to the theory of autoimmune/inflammatory syndrome induced by adjuvants. He served on the scientific advisory board of the anti-vaccine group Children's Medical Safety Research Institute.
While two of Shoenfeld's scientific articles have been retracted, he has published more than 1920 papers. Also, he has authored and edited 40 books and contributed more than 350 chapters to various books, most recently Vaccines and Autoimmunity published by Wiley Blackwell. Prof. Shoenfeld is on the editorial board of 43 medical journals.
A 2016 paper asserting a link between HPV vaccine and behavioural problems in mice, was retracted due to concerns about its methodology and data.
Awards and recognitionEdit
Shoenfeld received the EULAR Prize (Austria, 2005). He received the Nelson’s Prize for Humanity and Science from U.C. Davis (U.S., 2008). He was honored as Doctoris Honoris Causa by Debrecen University (Hungary, 2009). He has awarded a Life Contribution Prize in Internal Medicine (Israel, 2012), as well as the ACR Master Award (U.S., 2013). He is an honorary member of the Hungarian Association of Rheumatology, Slovenian National Academy of Sciences and the Royal Society of Physicians (UK).
- "Yehuda Shoenfeld Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). WAIDID. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "Autoimmunity Reviews" – via www.journals.elsevier.com.
- "Journal of Autoimmunity - Editorial Board". www.journals.elsevier.com. Elsevier. Retrieved 5 March 2019.
- "The Israeli Academy of Sciences and Humanities elects antivaxer Yehuda Shoenfeld to its ranks". Retrieved 2019-10-15.
- Hawkes D.; et al. (May 2015). "Revisiting adverse reactions to vaccines: A critical appraisal of Autoimmune Syndrome Induced by Adjuvants (ASIA)". J. Autoimmun. 59: 77–84. doi:10.1016/j.jaut.2015.02.005. PMID 25794485.
- Philadelphia, The Children's Hospital of (17 September 2018). "Vaccines and Autoimmune/Inflammatory Syndrome Induced by Adjuvants (ASIA)". www.chop.edu. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- KupferschmidtNov. 6, Kai; 2019; Pm, 1:15 (2019-11-06). "Top Israeli immunologist accused of promoting antivaccine views". Retrieved 2020-01-10.
- Inbar, Rotem; Weiss, Ronen; Tomljenovic, Lucija; Arango, Maria-Teresa; Deri, Yael; Shaw, Christopher A.; Chapman, Joab; Blank, Miri; Shoenfeld, Yehuda (2016). "WITHDRAWN: Behavioral abnormalities in young female mice following administration of aluminum adjuvants and the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine Gardasil". Vaccine. doi:10.1016/j.vaccine.2015.12.067. PMID 26778424.
- Blank, Miri; Matthias, Torsten; Chapman, Joab; Harel-Meir, Michal; Slutsky, Inna; Zusev, Margalit; O’Kane, Sara Louise; Cahill, Dolores J.; Arango, Maria-Teresa; Shoenfeld, Yehuda; Kivity, Shaye (1 October 2017). "Retracted: Anti-ribosomal-phosphoprotein autoantibodies penetrate to neuronal cells via neuronal growth associated protein, affecting neuronal cells in vitro". Rheumatology. 56 (10): 1827. doi:10.1093/rheumatology/kex259. PMID 28957569.
- "2016 Symposium Advances in Autoimmunity" (PDF). nyu.edu. Retrieved 5 March 2019.
- McCook, Author Alison (2017-08-15). ""The paper is extremely flawed:" Journal retracts article linked to vaccines". Retrieved 2019-10-15.
- Session 13, Vaccine Safety Conference, Jamaica, 2011, "Autoimmune (Auto-Inflammatory)Syndrome Induced by Adjuvant: A New Syndrome to be Defined"
- Autoimmunity Congress, Through The Eyes of Participants and Professor Shoenfeld
- Autoimmunity Congress 
- Latin American Congress on Autoimmunity 
- International Congress on Controversies in Rheumatology and Autoimmunity