Yandex Browser (Russian: Яндекс.Браузер) is a freeware web browser developed by the Russian web search corporation Yandex that uses the Blink web browser engine and is based on the Chromium open source project. The browser checks webpage security with the Yandex security system and checks downloaded files with Kaspersky anti-virus. The browser also uses Opera Software's Turbo technology to speed web browsing on slow connections.
|Initial release||1 October 2012|
20.12.2 (January 21, 2021)
220.127.116.115 (January 18, 2021)
|Platform||ARM, IA-32, x86-64|
|Size||60 880 KB|
|Available in||14 languages|
Yandex is facing web search competition in Russia from Google Search. Google Chrome, Russia's most popular web browser, uses Google Search as its default search engine. In June 2012, Mozilla Firefox, the world's third most popular web browser, signed a deal to replace its default search engine Yandex Search with Google Search. As Yandex Browser's "Smartbox" uses Yandex Search as its default search engine, the browser will help Yandex compete for Russian search market share.
Distinguishing features of the Yandex Browser include the following:
- Different "new tab" screen with a Windows 8-style interface and specialized widgets for popular services (e.g., the gmail widget shows number of unread messages).
- Integrated keyboard layout switcher in omnibox: e.g., if a user often uses gmail.com and starts typing "пьф" ("gma" with Russian keyboard layout) and presses Enter, the user will then be taken to gmail.com and not to the search page for "пьф" (as is the case in Chrome, for example).
- Accept browser extensions from the Opera add-ons website.
DNS spoofing protectionEdit
The world's first browser with support for DNSCrypt technology. Encrypts Domain Name System (DNS) traffic. For example, it protects from a trojan DNSChanger, a tracking Internet provider, or hackers. This option must be enabled in the browser settings.
- "Download Yandex Browser". Yandex. January 21, 2021. Retrieved January 26, 2021.
- "Yandex Browser on the App Store". App Store. January 18, 2021. Retrieved January 26, 2021.
- "Yandex Browser with Protect". Google Play Store. January 14, 2021. Retrieved January 26, 2021.
- https://browser.yandex.com/help/about/install.html#system-requirements System requirements
- ""Yandex" Browser Software License Agreement". Yandex. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- Lunden, Ingrid (October 1, 2012). "Yandex Gives Google A One-Two Punch In Russia: A New Browser And App Store For The Local Search Giant". TechCrunch. AOL Inc. Retrieved October 8, 2012.
- "Reliable protection from viruses". Yandex. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "Yandex launches its own browser targeting Russian market". Engadget. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- Sneddon, Joey (October 31, 2014). "Russia's 'Yandex Browser' Launches First Linux Beta, Is No Chrome Clone". OMG! Ubuntu!. Ohso Ltd. Retrieved April 21, 2017.
- "New Yandex browser escalates Russia's search-engine wars". Net Prophet. Retrieved October 16, 2012.
- "Yandex Starts Own Internet Browser to Challenge Google". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- Sørensen, Sven. "Yandex.Browser Review". Retrieved May 13, 2017.
- "Extensions". yandex.com. Retrieved September 18, 2019.
- "Protect: безопасность в интернете – Браузер (классический интерфейс) – Яндекс.Помощь". yandex.ru. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- "Yandex – Company blog – Yandex Browser Pioneers Built-in DNS Security". yandex.com. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- "Темы – Блог Яндекс.Браузера". yandex.ru. Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- "Protect: защита соединений Wi-Fi – Браузер (классический интерфейс) – Яндекс.Помощь". yandex.ru. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- "Liveinternet.ru analytics".
- "Browser Market Share Russian Federation". statcounter.com. February 1, 2020.