Yalman Onaran is a Turkish-born American financial journalist. Onaran came to the United States in 1987 to study at the College of Wooster in Wooster, Ohio. After finishing Columbia University's School of Journalism, and the Columbia University School of International and Public Affairs, Onaran began working as a reporter.
Life and careerEdit
Onaran was born in Istanbul and moved to the United States to attend the College of Woostet from which he graduated in 1991. Onaran earned his graduate degree from Columbia University's School of Journalism, and from its School of International and Public Affairs.
Onaran taught in schools before he became a full-time correspondent for the Associated Press, and moved back to Ankara, Turkey in 1995 to cover wars and politics. Onaran found himself covering the war zones first, then switched to financial journalism. opening the company's Istanbul bureau. Onaran has worked for Bloomberg News since 1998 in various capacities including as Istanbul bureau chief and magazine writer. Onaran moved back to New York City in 2006, where he covered Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns when the 2008 global financial crisis hit.
In 2013, his book about zombie banks was published, Zombie Banks: How Broken Banks and Debtor Nations are Crippling the Global Economy.
He is currently a senior finance writer for Bloomberg News focusing on global and national banking,[when?] Onaran covers global banking, regulation and the politics of finance. writing feature articles about banking issues worldwide, and comparing the problems of European banks to their U.S. counterparts, as well as analysing the effectiveness of new bank regulations.
- Zombie Banks: How Broken Banks and Debtor Nations are Crippling the Global Economy (New York, Wiley, 2011).
- "U.S. Bank Regulators Go Bigger Than Basel, Seek Tougher Capital Rules", Businessweek (July 11, 2013)
- "U.S. Bank Balance Sheets May Hide Risk" Businessweek (February 21, 2013)
Onaran is married with a son, and is an avid diver and ice skater. He speaks and reads English, Turkish, German, Russian, Italian and Spanish.
- Karz, Gary. "The Global Financial Crisis according to Yalman Onaran". Global Financial Crisis Survey. InvestorHome. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Wooster Magazine". The College of Wooster. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- Bell, Art. "Art Bell: Yalman Onaran".
- "Zombie Banks: A Political Salon with Yalman Onaran". World Policy Institute. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- Onaran, Yalman. "Bio: Yalman Onaran". Bloomberg Business Week. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- Onaran, Yalman. "Twitter: Yalman Onaran". Twitter / Yalman Onaran. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Zombie Banks". Wiley.
- Onaran, Talman. "U.S. Bank Regulators Go Bigger Than Basel, Seek Tougher Capital Rules", Businessweek (July 11, 2013)
- Onaran, Yalman. "U.S. Bank Balance Sheets May Hide Risk" Businessweek (February 21, 2013)
- Onaran, Yalman. "LinkedIn: Yalman Onaran". LinkedIn / Yalman Onaran. Retrieved 28 January 2014.