Württemberg(Redirected from Wurttemberg)
Württemberg (//) is a historical German territory. Together with Swabia, Baden and Hohenzollern, three other historical territories, it now forms the Federal State of Baden-Württemberg. Württemberg was formerly also spelled Würtemberg and Wirtemberg.
Originally part of the old Duchy of Swabia, its history can be summarized in the following periods:
- County of Württemberg (1083–1495)
- Duchy of Württemberg (1495–1803)
- Electorate of Württemberg (1803–1806)
- Kingdom of Württemberg (1806–1918)
- Free People's State of Württemberg (1918–1945)
After World War II, it was split into Württemberg-Baden and Württemberg-Hohenzollern. Finally, in 1952, it was integrated into Baden-Württemberg. Stuttgart, the historical capital city of Württemberg, became the capital of the present state.