Wu Xiaohui (Chinese: 吳小暉; born 1966) is a Chinese businessman, the former chairman and chief executive of Anbang Insurance Group, then one of the largest insurers in China. In May 2018 he was sentenced to 18 years imprisonment on charges of fraud and embezzlement.
|Born||1966 (age 51–52)
Pingyang County, Zhejiang, China
|Known for||Angbang, fraud, embezzlement|
|Net worth||US$1.1 billion+ (2015)|
|Title||Chairman and CEO, Anbang Insurance Group|
|Term||2004 - 2017|
|Relatives||Deng Xiaoping (grandfather-in-law)|
Over a ten-year period beginning with Anbang's founding in 2004, Wu transformed the insurer from a minor player in China's insurance market to a high-profile global investment firm. As of mid-March 2016, Anbang claims to have assets of RMB1.65 trillion, or about USD 253 billion. He is known for negotiating large transactions without the support of investment bankers,  and according to the Financial Times "makes all the key decisions" for Anbang. 
Investigation and convictionEdit
On 8 June 2017, Wu Xiaohui was taken away from Anbang's offices by police, stood down as chairman and was detained by the authorities. He was investigated for economic crimes in China's sweeping review of systemic risk. China regulators took control of Anbang before prosecuring its chairman for fraud. On 28 March 2018 Wu pled guilty to charges bought against him that he had raised money in excess of what is allowed by regulations, as well as other crimes. He asked the court for leniency in his sentencing. On 10 May, Wu has been sentenced to 18 years in prison for fundraising fraud and embezzlement. Wu will also have his $1.7 billion worth of assets seized.
- "Xiaohui Wu". Wealth-X. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- Wildau, Gabriel (15 March 2016). "Rise of Wu Xiaohui, Anbang's low-profile, high-octane chairman". Financial Times. ISSN 0307-1766. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "What's Driving Insurer Anbang's Big Bang?". Caixin. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- Bhaktavatsalam, Hui-Yong Yu Sree Vidya. "The Chinese Dealmaker Following Buffett's Lead". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Anbang Insurance (Group) Inc - Insurance,Bank,Investment". anbanggroup.com. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- jonny_browning, Jonathan Browning. "Gate-Crashing, Cutting In: Anbang's Recipe for Billions of Deals". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- "Anbang drives a hard bargain on its shopping spree". Financial Times. 17 March 2016. ISSN 0307-1766. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- Chao, Deng; Areddy, James T. (June 13, 2017). "Once-Highflying Anbang Chief Isn't Able to Do His Job". WSJ.
- "Wu Xiaohui: China 'detains' Anbang Insurance chairman - BBC News". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "China Regulator Seizes Anbang, Chairman Faces Fraud Prosecution". Bloomberg. 22 February 2018. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "Anbang Group's chairman pleads guilty during trial". CCTV. March 28, 2018. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "Quick Take: Anbang Founder Wu Xiaohui Sentenced to 18 Years in Prison". CCTV. 10 May 2018. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- Shane, Daniel. "Ex-chief of Chinese insurer Anbang jailed for 18 years". CNNMoney. Retrieved 2018-05-11.
- [dead link]
- "Group led by Chinese firm Anbang bids $12.8 billion for Starwood Hotels". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 17 March 2016.