World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day is an annual celebration of the principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. World Red Cross Red Crescent Day is celebrated on 8 May each year. This date is the anniversary of the birth of Jean-Henry Dunant, who was born on 8 May 1828. He was the founder of International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and the recipient of the first Nobel Peace Prize.
The idea for an "annual action that could take hold in the whole world ... that would be a major contribution to peace" was introduced just after World War I. This initiative, known as the "Red Cross Truce", was studied by an International Commission established at the 14th International Conference of the Red Cross. Its report, presented to the 15th International Conference of the Red Cross in Tokyo in 1934, was approved. It was only after World War II, in 1946, that the Tokyo proposal was studied by the League of Red Cross Societies (LRCS), renamed the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) in 1991. Two years later, having considered the principles of the truce and its applicability across different regions of the world, the proposal of an annual International Red Cross Day was adopted and the first Red Cross Day was celebrated on May 8, 1948. The official title of the day changed over time, and became "World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day" in 1984.
|2009||Change in the Climate and it causes on the Human’s which serves as a Today’s Solferino|
|2011||Search for the Volunteer which is inside you|
|2012||Move of the Youth|
|2013||Be Together for the reason of Humanity|
|2014||Get Together for everyone people|
|2015||Together for Humanity|
|2016||Everywhere for Every People|
|2017||Less Known Red Cross Stories|
|2018||Memorable smiles from around the world|
- "Foreign Secretary marks World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day". gov.uk. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- International Committee of the Red Cross (7 May 2003). "World Red Cross Red Crescent Day". Retrieved 29 October 2009.
- "World Red Cross Red Crescent Day – 8 May 2013". Education Scotland. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- "International Red Cross and Red Crescent Day". South African Government Information. 10 November 2010.
- "We observe World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day 2012". Tempo. 8 May 2012. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- World Red Cross day and Red Crescent Day – May 08th/
- "World Red cross day 2019".
- "World Red Cross Day 2021: Date, Theme, History, Facts, Slogan". S A NEWS. 6 May 2021. Retrieved 6 May 2021.