With Love and Fury
With Love and Fury is a collaborative studio album by British string quartet the Brodsky Quartet and Australian singer songwriter Katie Noonan.The album is described as a fusion of their styles into an incredibly composed and creative collaboration.
|With Love and Fury|
|Studio album by|
|Released||19 April 2016|
|Label||Kin Music Australia|
|Katie Noonan chronology|
The album is a re-imagining of the words of Australian poet Judith Wright and features compositions from contemporary Australian composers including Carl Vine, Elena Kats-Chernin, Richard Tognetti, Iain Grandage, Andrew Ford, David Hirschfelder, Paul Grabowsky, Paul Dean and John Rodgers.
The project combines several of Noonan's passions; contemporary Australian composition and the work of iconic Queensland poet Judith Wright. The title With Love and Fury is named after the manner in which Wright habitually signed off her letters. Noonan said "The idea was born from a love and deep appreciation of Judith Wright's writing and the legacy she left for Australia that seems so pertinent today," says Noonan. "She was such an advocate for the environment and also such a fierce supporter of reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians." 
Background and releaseEdit
Noonan had met Paul Cassidy of the Quartet in Brisbane in 2011, while both were performing at the Queensland Music Festival. Noonan's original idea was to create a project celebrating the work of beloved Aussie poet and cartoonist Michael Leunig but distance made writing together difficult.
In 2013, Noonan found herself in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, at the Judith Wright Centre: “I realised with great embarrassment that I didn’t actually know who Wright was. So I went inside, found an anthology of her poetry and read it cover to cover. Her work just blew me away.” With financial blessing from the Australia Council, Noonan set about cherrypicking the project’s composers. Her brief was simple: choose a poem by Wright and go for it. Noonan got in touch with Cassidy again and she flew to London to record the album with the Quartet.
Noonan said of the collaboration; “I am so thrilled with the outcome of this project and believe we have created a truly beautiful and significant body of uniquely Australian work and I can’t wait to share this new music with you on our World Premiere Australia tour in April/May. Ever since I first heard the Brodsky Quartet with Elvis Costello on the seminal album The Juliet Letters and... with one of my musical idols Bjork, it has been a dream of mine to sing with this incredible string ensemble,” Paul Cassidy of the Quartet said; “We are so happy to be working with Katie Noonan, and are proud to be involved in this wonderful new Australian song cycle in memory of the inspirational Judith Wright.” 
A reviewer from Australian Stage said' "Poetry has often been the inspiration for Noonan’s work. In 2011, with her trio Elixir, she recorded Australian Thomas Shapcott’s poems... This time it is Wright’s poetry that has been set to music. [they] all capture the sunlight and shadow of Wright’s poetry, its joy and despair, with Noonan’s voice swooping and soaring within a web of finely balanced delicate string parts.
A reviewer of Sounds of Oz said; Noonan has "created what is arguably one of her most ambitious albums to date with her new release With Love and Fury... I’m still not sure this is the kind of music I’ll reach for time and time again. It’s just so different, with songs that veer wildly from the classic structure of verses and choruses. While that meant I struggled to get into some songs, others really moved me. This album is brave and creative. And in a musical landscape that has a little too much beige, those virtues count for something"
- "Late Spring" - 4:08
- "To a Child" - 4:57
- "Sonnet for Christmas" - 9:01
- "After the Visitors" - 3:27
- "The Surfer" - 6:16
- "Night after Bushfire" - 6:59
- "The Company of Lovers" - 4:25
- "Failure of Communication" - 4:46
- "The Slope" - 6:22
- "Metho Drinker" - 5:37
|Australia||19 April 2016||Kin Music Australia|
- "KATIE NOONAN & BRODSKY QUARTET: WITH LOVE AND FURY". www.qpac.com.au. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "Singer Katie Noonan with Love and Fury sets poet Judith Wrights work to music". www.smh.com.au. 16 April 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "Kate Noonan - Tour". katienoonan.com. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "Katie Noonan and Brodsky Quartet music tour". theblurb.com.au. 12 February 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "Katie Noonan joins iconic Brodsky Quartet for With Love and Fury". katienoonan.com. 29 January 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "Katie Noonan and the Brodsky Quartet - With Love and Fury". www.melbournerecital.com.au. 24 February 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "Katie Noonan and Brodsky Quartet". With Love and Fury. www.australianstage.com.au. 30 April 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- ""With Love and Fury" – Brodsky Quartet & Katie Noonan". www.soundsofoz.com. 23 March 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2016.