Winston F. Ponder (born 1941) is a noted malacologist from New Zealand who has named and described many marine and freshwater animals, especially micromolluscs. He graduated with an MSc, PhD and DSc from the University of Auckland, New Zealand.
Ponder was the principal research scientist in the malacology section of the Australian Museum, Sydney, Australia and helped to build up the museum's mollusc collection so that it became one of the most extensive of its kind in the world. Ponder retired from this post after a long career of more than forty years of research on molluscs, and is now an Honorary Fellow.
He has been the president of the Society of Australian Systematic Biologists, and was the managing editor of the journal Molluscan Research of the Malacological Society of Australasia. for 8 years.
Ponder is the author of more than 300 research publications. Many of these are on the subjects of the freshwater molluscs of Australia, and on invertebrate conservation. One major contribution was a taxonomy of the Gastropoda, which he published together with David R. Lindberg in 1997. This was the last major publication on the taxonomy of the Gastropoda that was based on the morphology of snails and slugs (their internal and external shapes and forms), and did not take into account any analysis of their DNA or RNA.
In 2008, again with David Lindberg, he edited the book "Phylogeny and Evolution of the Mollusca" in which 36 experts provided an up-to-date review on the evolutionary history of the Mollusca, based on reinvestigation of morphological characters, molecular data and the fossil record.
In 2008 Ponder received the Australian Marine Sciences Association Silver Jubilee Award for a lifetime of achievement in research on marine molluscs.
Some Gastropod taxa named by PonderEdit
- Subclass Eogastropoda Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Order Sorbeoconcha Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Suborder Hypsogastropoda Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Superfamily Glacidorboidea Ponder, 1986
- Eatoniellidae Ponder, 1965
- Rastodentidae Ponder, 1966
- Elachisinidae Ponder, 1985
- Emblandidae Ponder, 1985
- Epigridae Ponder, 1985
- Amathinidae Ponder, 1987
- Calopiidae Ponder, 1999
- Subfamily Pelycidiinae Ponder & Hall, 1983
- Microestea Ponder, 1965
- Rufodardanula Ponder, 1965
- Rastodens Ponder, 1966
- Rissolitorina Ponder, 1966
- Tridentifera Ponder,1966
- Fictonoba Ponder, 1967
- Pseudodiala Ponder, 1967
- Pseudestea Ponder, 1967
- Pseudoskenella Ponder, 1973
- Lirobarleeia Ponder, 1983
- Kutikina Ponder & Waterhouse, 1997 
- Kessneria Walker & Ponder, 2001
Taxa named after PonderEdit
Ponderia Hoaurt, 1986
Species in temporal orderEdit
- Aspella ponderi Radwin & D' Attilio, 1976
- Heliacus cerdaleus ponderi Garrard, 1977
- Limatula (Stabilima) ponderi Fleming, 1978
- Echineulima ponderi Warén, 1980
- Pisinna ponderi Palazzi, 1982
- Notocrater ponderi B. A. Marshall, 1986
- Oliva (Miniaceoliva) caerulea ponderi Petuch & Sargent, 1986
- Sassia (Sassia) ponderi Beu, 1986
- Tritonoharpa ponderi Beu & Maxwell, 1987
- Favartia (Favartia) ponderi Myers & d'Attilio, 1989
- Amalda (Alcospira) ponderi Ninomiya, 1991
- Choristella ponderi McLean, 1992
- Austrotrochaclis ponderi B. A. Marshall, 1995
- Powellisetia ponderi Numanami, 1996
- Fissidentalium ponderi Lamprell & Healy, 1998
- Posticobia ponderi Clark, 2009
- Amplirhagada ponderi Köhler, 2010
- Ponder W. F. & A. Warén (1988). "Classification of the Caenogastropoda and Heterostropha - A list of the family-group names and higher taxa". Malacological Review. Supll. (4): 288–328.
- Clark A., Miller A. C. & Ponder W. F. (2003) Revision of the snail genus Austropyrgus (Gastropoda: Hydrobiidae). 109 pp.
- Ponder, W. F. (4 July 2003). "Monograph of the Australian Bithyniidae (Caenogastropoda: Rissooidea)" (PDF). Zootaxa. 230: 1–126. - There are 17 newly described species from the genus Gabbia.
- Colgan D. J., Ponder W. F., Beacham E. & Macaranas J. (2006). "Molecular phylogenetics of Caenogastropoda (Gastropoda: Mollusca)". Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 42(3): 717–737. doi:10.1016/j.ympev.2006.10.009 PDF
- Ponder W. & Lindberg D. R. (2008). Phylogeny and Evolution of the Mollusca. University of California Press, 469 pp. ISBN 978-0-520-25092-5.
- "Invertebrate Zoology - Scientific staff - Dr Winston Ponder". The Australian Museum. Archived from the original on 5 December 2008. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- Malacological Society of Australasia
- Ponder W. & Lindberg D. R. 1997. Towards a phylogeny of gastropod molluscs; an analysis using morphological characters. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 119: 83-265.
- Winston F. Ponder and David R. Lindberg (eds.) (2008). Phylogeny and Evolution of the Mollusca. University of California Press. p. 488.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Recognising research on molluscs
- "The Clarke Medal". The Royal Society of New South Wales. Retrieved 27 October 2016.