This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Winged Migration (French: Le Peuple Migrateur, also known as The Travelling Birds in some UK releases, or The Travelling Birds: An Adventure in Flight in Australia) is a 2001 documentary film directed by Jacques Cluzaud, Michel Debats and Jacques Perrin, who was also one of the writers and narrators, showcasing the immense journeys routinely made by birds during their migrations.
|Directed by||Jacques Perrin,|
|Produced by||Christophe Barratier,|
|Written by||Jean Dorst|
|Narrated by||Jacques Perrin|
|Music by||Bruno Coulais|
|Distributed by||BAC Films|
|12 December 2001 (France)|
|Box office||$52.8 million|
The movie was shot over the course of four years on all seven continents. It was shot using in-flight cameras, most of the footage is aerial, and the viewer appears to be flying alongside birds of successive species, especially Canada geese. They traverse every kind of weather and landscape, covering vast distances in a flight for survival. The filmmakers exposed over 590 miles of film to create an 89-minute piece. In one case, two months of filming in one location was edited down to less than one minute in the final film.
Much of the aerial footage was taken of "tame" birds. The filmmakers raised birds of several species, including storks and pelicans, from birth. The newborn birds imprinted on staff members, and were trained to fly along with the film crews. The birds were also exposed to the film equipment over the course of their lives to ensure that the birds would react the way the filmmakers want. Several of these species had never been imprinted before. Film was shot from ultralights, paragliders, and hot air balloons, as well as trucks, motorcycles, motorboats, remote-controlled robots, and a French Navy warship. Its producer says that "Winged Migration" is neither a documentary nor fiction, but rather a "natural tale".
The film's soundtrack by Bruno Coulais was recorded by Bulgarian vocal group Bulgarka Junior Quartet in Bulgarian, as well as Nick Cave in English and Robert Wyatt. The vocal effects include sequences in which panting is superimposed on wingbeats to give the effect that the viewer is a bird.
- France 2001/12/12
- Belgium 2001/12/12
- Switzerland 2001/12/13...(German speaking region)
- Greece 2001/12/14
- South Korea 2002/03/29
- Germany 2002/04/04
- Netherlands 2002/04/18
- Hong Kong 2002/06/20
- Russia 2002/06/21...(Moscow Film Festival)
- Czech Republic 2002/07/8...(Karlovy Vary Film Festival)
- Czech Republic 2002/07/18
- Canada 2002/09/08...(Toronto Film Festival)
- Turkey 2002/09/13
- Israel 2002/09/19
- Hungary 2002/09/19
- Spain 2002/09/27
- Italy 2002/11/15
- Lithuania 2002/12/27
- Poland 2003/04/04
- Japan 2003/04/05...(Tokyo)
- USA 2003/04/5...(Philadelphia International Film Festival)
- Slovenia 2003/04/17
- USA 2003/04/18...(Limited)
- Norway 2003/05/02...(Kristiansand International Children's Film Festival)
- Canada 2003/05/30
- Australia 2003/06/19
- Norway 2003/06/20
- New Zealand 2003/07/13...(Auckland International Film Festival)
- Mexico 2003/07/25
- Denmark 2003/08/15...(Copenhagen International Film Festival)
- Finland 2003/09/05
- UK 2003/09/05
- Denmark 2003/09/12
- Sweden 2003/ 11/07
- Iceland 2004/01/23...(French Film Festival)
- Argentina 2004/07/29
- Chile 2005/03/31
- Ireland 2011/07/10...(Galway Film Fleadh)
Winged Migration has an overall approval rating of 96% on Rotten Tomatoes. By gross ticket sales, the film still holds seventh place in nature documentaries  and eighteenth in documentary overall.
Awards and honorsEdit
• Oscar 2003 Best Documentary Feature (nominated) -Jacques Perrin
• European Film Award 2002 Best Documentary Feature (nominated) -Jacques Perrin
• CFCA Award 2004 Best Cinematography (nominated) -Laurent Charbonnier Best Cinematography (nominated) -Luc Drion Best Cinematography (nominated) -Laurent Fleutot Best Cinematography (nominated) -Sylvie Carcedo Best Cinematography (nominated) -Philippe Garguil Best Cinematography (nominated) -Olli Barbé Best Cinematography (nominated) -Dominique Gentil Best Cinematography (nominated) -Thierry Machado Best Cinematography (nominated) -Stéphane Martin Best Cinematography (nominated) -Fabrice Moindrot Best Cinematography (nominated) -Ernst Sasse Best Cinematography (nominated) -Thierry Thomas Best Cinematography (nominated) - Michel Terrasse Best Documentary (nominated)
• Chicago Film Critics Circle Awards 2004 Best Cinematography (nominated) - Bernard Luti Best Cinematography (nominated) - Michel Benjamin
• César 2002 Best Editing (Meilleur montage) Marie-Josèphe Yoyotte Best First Work (Meilleure première oeuvre) (nominated) - Michel Debats Best First Work (Meilleure première oeuvre) (nominated) - Jacques Cluzaud
• The European Film Award 2002 Best Documentary Award (Nominated) - Jacques Cluzaud Best Documentary Award (Nominated) - Michel Debats
- "Winged Migration (2000)". en.unifrance.org.
- JP. "Le Peuple migrateur (Winged Migration) (2001)- JPBox-Office". www.jpbox-office.com.
- "Making of" special feature on the DVD
- "Rotten Tomatoes". Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- "BoxOfficeMojo.org". Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- "BoxOfficeMojo.org". Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- "NY Times: Le Peuple Migrateur". NY Times. Retrieved 2008-11-23.