Count William Wirich of Daun-Falkenstein (1 June 1613 – 26 August 1682) was a German nobleman. By descent, he was a Count of Falkenstein; by inheritance, he was Lord of Broich and Bürgel.
William Wirich, Count of Daun-Falkenstein
|Born||1 June 1613|
|Died||26 August 1682(aged 69)|
|Noble family||Counts of Falkenstein|
|Spouse(s)||Elizabeth of Waldeck-Wildungen|
Agnes Catherine of Limburg-Styrum
|Father||John Adolph, Count of Daun-Falkenstein|
|Mother||Anna Maria of Nassau-Siegen|
William Wirich was a son of Count John Adolph (1582–1623) and his wife, Countess Anna Maria (1589–1620), a daughter of Count John VII of Nassau-Siegen and Countess Magdalene of Waldeck-Wildungen.
On 28 October 1634, he married at Waldeck Castle to his cousin Elisabeth of Waldeck. In 1636, he inherited the County of Falkenstein from his third cousin once removed Count Francis Christopher of Daun-Oberstein.
Charles Alexander was his only son who survived into adulthood. However, he was shot by Count Moritz of Limburg during a fight on 7 October 1659. William Wirich remarried to Countess Agnes Catherine of Limburg-Styrum. However, this marriage remained childless, so when he died, the Daun-Falkenstein branch died out in the male line.
The impoverished count sold the county of Falkenstein to Duke Charles IV of Lorraine in 1667. The Lordships of Broich and Bürgel were inherited by his third cousin once remove, Emich Christian of Leiningen-Dagsburg.
Marriage and issueEdit
On 28 November 1634 at Waldeck Castle, he married his cousin Elizabeth (1610–1647), the daughter of Count Christian of Waldeck-Wildungen. They had the following children:
- Anna Elizabeth (9 January 1636 – 1685), married:
- in 1658 to George William (1636-1672), the son of Count Emich XIII of Leiningen-Dagsburg (1612-1658) and Christiane of Solms-Laubach (1607-1638)
- in 1673 to George Frederick, the son of Wild- and Rhinegrave John Casimir of Salm-Kyrburg (1577-1651) and Dorothea of Solms-Laubach (1579-1631)
- Ferdinand Christian (25 December 1636 – 29 March 1642)
- Charlotte Auguste (30 December 1637 – 1713)
- married Rev. A. Siebel
- Amalie Sibylle (b. 27 January 1639)
- married on 22 August 1664 (renounced 1674), John Louis (1643-1687), the son of Count Emich XIII of Leiningen-Dagsburg and Dorothea of Waldeck-Wildungen
- Christine Louise (18 July 1640 – December 1717)
- married on 17 July 1664 to Count Emich Christian (1642-1702), another son of Count Emich XIII of Leiningen-Dagsburg and Dorothea of Waldeck-Wildungen
- Charles Alexander (23 February 1643 – 7 October 1659)
- William (23 July 1644 – 4 October 1653)
In 1663, he remarried, to Agnes Catherine (1629–1686), the daughter of Count Bernard Albert of Limburg-Styrum (1597–1637) and Countess Maria Anna of Berg (1600–1653). This marriage remained childless.
|Ancestors of William Wirich, Count of Daun-Falkenstein|
- Dr. Otto Redlich (1939), Mülheim an der Ruhr - Seine Geschichte von den Anfängen bis zum Übergang an Preußen 1815, Stadt Mülheim an der Ruhr: self-published by the City of Mülheim an der Ruhr