William W. Cohen
William W. Cohen
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from New York's 17th district
March 4, 1927 – March 3, 1929
|Preceded by||Ogden L. Mills|
|Succeeded by||Ruth Baker Pratt|
|Born||September 6, 1874|
Brooklyn, New York City, New York, U.S.
|Died||October 12, 1940 (aged 66)|
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Sophie Dazian (m. Feb. 2, 1902)|
Born in Brooklyn, New York to Russian-born Bernard Cohen and German-born Frederica (née Cronocher), Cohen attended public schools. He became associated with his father in the shoe manufacturing business until 1903, when he engaged in the banking and brokerage business. Cohen was a member of the New York Stock Exchange and director of the New York Cotton Exchange. He served as vice chairman of the Public Schools Athletic League, and was an honorary deputy chief of the New York City Fire Department.
He resumed his former business pursuits in New York City until his death there on October 12, 1940. In keeping with his Jewish faith, Cohen was interred in Mount Neboh Cemetery, Brooklyn, New York.
- "New York, New York City Marriage Records, 1829-1940", FamilySearch, retrieved April 19, 2018
- "New York, New York City Births", FamilySearch, retrieved April 19, 2018
- "United States Census, 1880", FamilySearch, retrieved April 19, 2018
- Stone, Kurt F. (2011). The Jews of Capitol Hill: A Compendium of Jewish Congressional Members. Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press. pp. 134–135. ISBN 978-0-8108-5731-5.
- United States Congress. "William W. Cohen (id: C000599)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- William W. Cohen at Find a Grave
|U.S. House of Representatives|
Ogden L. Mills
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from New York's 17th congressional district
Ruth Baker Pratt
This article incorporates public domain material from the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress website http://bioguide.congress.gov.