William Brown (industrial relations expert)
|Born||22 April 1945|
|Died||1 August 2019 (aged 74)|
|Alma mater||Wadham College, Oxford|
|Known for||Industrial Relations|
|Institutions||Wolfson College, Cambridge, University of Warwick|
Education and Academic CareerEdit
After attending Leeds Grammar School and graduating from Wadham College, Oxford, Brown worked at the National Board for Prices and Incomes as an economic assistant. From there he went to the new University of Warwick, moving to the Economic and Social Research Council's Industrial Relations Research Unit when it was established at Warwick in 1970. Ten years later he became its Director.
In 1985 Brown was elected as a Fellow of Wolfson College, Cambridge and also became the fourth Montague Burton Professor of Industrial Relations at the University of Cambridge, a position he held until 2012 when he was awarded the status of emeritus professor.
At Cambridge University Brown served as Chair of the Faculty of Economics and Politics and was Chair of the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences. He was also the chairman of Board of Graduate Studies as the Vice-Chancellor's deputy.
Brown was one of the representatives of Oxford School of Industrial Relations. Brown's research was concerned with workplace bargaining, pay determination, and the effect of legal change and outside intervention on labour relations. For more than twenty years he served as an ACAS arbitrator, was a member of ACAS Council, and a member of the Low Pay Commission since it was established to manage the National Minimum Wage in 1997.
- "Birthday's today". The Telegraph. 22 April 2011. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
Prof William Brown, Master of Darwin College, Cambridge, 66
- Cambridge University Faculty of Economics
- The Independent, Obituary, Published 6 March 2003
- Darwin College:William Brown biography
- Warwick University - Summary of Papers
- Cambridge University database
- List of emeritus professors at the University of Cambridge Cambridge University Reporter, 19 December 2012
- Darwin College, Cambridge website
- Darwin College News
- Low Pay Commission Press Release, 18 June 1998
| Montague Burton Professor of Industrial Relations, Cambridge University
1985 - 2012
G. E. R. Lloyd
| Master of Darwin College, Cambridge
2000 - 2012