When I'm with You
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2021)
"When I'm with You" is a song by Canadian arena rock band Sheriff. The song was released in January 1983 in Canada as the second single from their self-titled debut album. A top-ten hit in Canada in 1983 (and a minor US hit at the same time), the song later reached number one in the United States in 1989, four years after the band separated in 1985. This song is also notable that it was one of the few number-one hits not to have a promotional video during the MTV era.
|"When I'm with You"|
|Single by Sheriff|
|from the album Sheriff|
|Sheriff singles chronology|
Composition and inspirationEdit
Sheriff's keyboardist Arnold Lanni wrote the song after meeting Valeri Brown and falling in love with her. 'I sat down, put my coffee on the piano, tinkled some ivories, and four minutes later 80 percent of the song was written. On Valentine's Day I played the song for Valerie and said, "I don't have anything, this is all I can give you right now. It's yours." Valeri loved the song; two years later she married me.'
Lanni also played the song to his bandmates in Sheriff. "The band really liked it, so we started playing it live. That was one of the last songs we recorded when we did the record. The producer said, 'Is there anything else?' I said, 'There's this song we play, it's kind of a wimpy song.' So we played it for him and he said 'Yeah, that's kind of nice.'"
"When I'm with You" was originally released as the third single off Sheriff's debut album. The song reached number eight on the RPM chart in the band's native Canada, where it was their biggest hit. In the US, it entered the Billboard Hot 100 on 14 May 1983 and peaked at number 61 four weeks later. Sometime thereafter, disappointed and frustrated by their continued lack of international success, the band broke up.
In November 1988, Brian Philips, Program Director at KDWB in Minneapolis, and WKTI in Milwaukee began playing the song, and eventually other radio stations nationally followed suit. This encouraged Capitol Records to re-release the song as a single. On 4 February 1989, the song reached number one in the United States.
By that time, former Sheriff members Lanni and bassist Wolf Hassell had formed a duo named Frozen Ghost, and declined to re-form the group. Sheriff's lead vocalist Freddy Curci and guitarist Steve DeMarchi, who had both been working as couriers in the interim, subsequently formed the band Alias and charted the following year with the number-two hit "More Than Words Can Say".
7-inch single (1983)
- A. "When I'm with You" – 3:51
- B. "Crazy Without You" – 3:52
- A. "When I'm with You" – 3:54
- B. "Give Me Rock 'N' Roll" – 3:41
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||50,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
^ Shipments figures based on certification alone.
- "American single certifications – Sheriff – When I'm with You". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 20 February 2021. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- What the World Needs Now Is...: The Ultimate Love Collection - Various Artists | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic, retrieved 6 April 2021
- Billboard Magazine interview of Arnold Lanni by Fred Bronson.
- Behind The Vinyl "When I'm With You" by Sheriff, Freddy Curci and Steve DeMarchi @YouTube.com Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- When I'm with You (Canadian 7-inch single vinyl disc). Sheriff. Capitol Records. 1983. B-72901.CS1 maint: others in cite AV media (notes) (link)
- When I'm with You (US cassette single sleeve). Sheriff. Capitol Records. 1988. 4BX-44302.CS1 maint: others in cite AV media (notes) (link)
- When I'm with You (US 7-inch single vinyl disc). Sheriff. Capitol Records. 1989. B-44302.CS1 maint: others in cite AV media (notes) (link)
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 6196." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 20 February 2021.
- "The Hot 100 Week of June 11, 1983". Billboard. 11 June 1983. Retrieved 20 February 2021.
- "Sheriff Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 20 February 2021.
- "Sheriff Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard. Retrieved 20 February 2021.
- "The Top Singles of 1983". RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 20 February 2021.
- "1989 The Year in Music: Top Pop Singles". Billboard. Vol. 101 no. 51. 23 December 1989. p. Y-22.
- "Billboard Top 100 – 1989".
- "Canadian single certifications – Sheriff – When I'm with You". Music Canada. Retrieved 20 February 2021.