What Doesn't Kill You (film)
What Doesn't Kill You is a 2008 American crime drama loosely based on the true life story of the film's director Brian Goodman, detailing his own exploits involved with South Boston's Irish Mob. Starring Ethan Hawke and Mark Ruffalo, it premiered at the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival, and was released on a very small scale in December 2008 due to the collapse of its distributor Yari Film Group and NBC adapted tv series Crisis. The title alludes to the Nietzsche quote.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Brian Goodman|
Peter R. McIntosh
Paul T. Murray
|Distributed by||Yari Film Group Releasing|
Hawke and Ruffalo play childhood friends Paulie and Brian, who are forced to survive on the tough streets of South Boston through a life of petty thievery. They join a local gang of criminals, but Brian finds it hard to reconcile his work and friendship with Paulie and his relationship with his wife (Amanda Peet) and sons.
- Mark Ruffalo as Brian Reilly
- Ethan Hawke as Paulie McDougan
- Amanda Peet as Stacy Reilly
- Will Lyman as Sully
- Brian Goodman as Pat Kelly
- Donnie Wahlberg as Detective Moran
- Angela Featherstone as Katie
- Brian Connolly as Sean
- Lindsey McKeon as Nicole
- Eddie J Fernandez as Swat team leader 1
- Michael Yebba as Round Man
- Michael Elian as FBI/HRT Swat sniper team 1
- Brett G Smith as FBI/HRT Swat commander
- Max Martini as FBI/HRT Swat (M4 Carbine)
- Candice Accola as teenage hostage
The film received generally favorable reviews from critics. Based on the 10 critic reviews collected by Metacritic, it received an average score of 71 out of 100. Rotten Tomatoes generated a 66% favorable rating based on 32 reviews.
- "Exclusive: Brian Goodman Faces What Doesn't Kill You". comingsoon.net. 2008-12-10. Retrieved 2009-10-23.
- "What Doesn't Kill You Blurb by Dave Wedge". BostonHerald.com. 2009-04-26. Retrieved 2009-10-23.
- "Toronto Film Festival lineup 2008". Variety. 2008-08-19. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- Fleming, Michael (2008-12-12). "Bob Yari crashes into Chapter 11". Variety. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "What Doesn't Kill You Reviews at Metacritic.com". Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "What Doesn't Kill You Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes". Retrieved 2009-10-19.