The Westmorland County Agricultural Society (WCAS, established 1799) is a registered charity which supports agriculture and related activities in and around the former county of Westmorland, England. Its activities include the annual Westmorland County Show. It was previously known as the Westmorland and Kendal District Agricultural Society.
The Society's objectives are:
(A) To promote and improve agriculture, horticulture, allied industries, rural crafts, the breeding of livestock, forestry and conservation and in particular in the old county of Westmorland and those parts of adjoining counties which are within a fifty five mile radius of Lane Farm, Crooklands, Milnthorpe, Cumbria; (B) To promote such charitable purposes as the charity trustees of the Society shall think fit.
Westmorland County ShowEdit
The annual county show takes place on the second Thursday of September at the Society's showground and is said to be "one of the largest one day Shows in the Country". It includes competitive classes for heavy and light horses, beef and dairy cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, dogs, alpacas, rural crafts and Cumberland and Westmorland wrestling. There are several hundred trade stands, and over 30,000 people attend each year.
Other events at the Society's showgroundEdit
The showground is used for various regular events such as the Society's annual Countryfest and other events such as the Red Rose 2022 international scout and guide camp.
- "The Westmorland County Agricultural Society, registered charity no. 226087". Charity Commission for England and Wales. (record for 1964-2003)
- "Westmorland County Agricultural Society Ltd, registered charity no. 1067224". Charity Commission for England and Wales. (record for 2003 onwards)
- "Westmorland County Show 2017". Agricultural and Farming Jobs. 1 February 2017. Archived from the original on 21 October 2018. Retrieved 25 August 2021.
- "Westmorland County Show". Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "Westmorland County Show : Wednesday 8 & Thursday 9 September 2021". Westmorland County Agricultural Society. 31 March 2021. Archived from the original on 31 March 2021. Retrieved 26 August 2021.
- "Country Fest 2014: A Feast for All Senses - For Country Lovers". WCAS. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- "Where to get Elton John tickets for South Lakeland gig". Westmorland Gazette. 4 December 2014. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- Official website
- "Westmorland County Agricultural Society Ltd, registered charity no. 1067224". Charity Commission for England and Wales.